Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:42 pm 

Hopefully I can describe this without confusing you. I purchased my first FL350 two days ago, not running with the only know issue being the carburetor. Last night I clean the carb and got the buggy running, but it was after midnight so no test drive. Today I started it up, put it in drive, and I went nowhere. I then put it into reverse and the same thing, nothing.

Here is everything I have been able to find, please let me know your suggestions.

- When the shifter is put into forward and reverse the cables do move on the trans and it clicks into position.
-With the Engine off I can put into forward or reverse and rolling the buggy by hand becomes more difficult apposed to being in neutral. When I do this in gear both the drive and driven pulleys move and there is tension on the belt.
-With the Engine running both driven and drive pulleys move together in neutral. Once I put into forward or reverse the drive pulley continues to spin, but the belt and driven pulley stop moving. I can rev the Engine as high as I want but it's like the drive pulley will not catch hold of the belt.

The manual says - running but won't move = broken driven key. I am a first timer, but I would imagine if the driven key was broken then it would not allow it to work like it does when not running. The driven pulley seems to engage with the trans and the wheels are affected. If that driven key was broken would that happen?

Please help if you have any suggestions. I feel confident that I can get the work done, but I don't really know which direction to go. I don't want to start randomly pulling parts off because being this old stuff is probably going to break when I start messing with it. If I have a more narrowed search then I will do what is needed. Thanks.

O, and the previous owner said the driven clutch was replaced not too long ago and that he never had this problem before. Who knows what the true is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:30 pm 

Check the key on the trans side clutch-if it is not there or broken it will do what you a describing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Check the key on the trans side clutch-if it is not there or broken it will do what you a describing.

I will check that out. That's what the manual says and I ordered that key just in case. I really hate to start taking the wrong thing apart because know my luck I will be replacing a bunch of parts as I break them by accident.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 pm 

Is the drive clutch working correct? When you rev it does it start to clamp the belt and bring it up on the drive clutch and down the driven clutch? the drive clutch could be stuck. I had mine stick engaged before, so id assume it could do the same thing in the disengaged position

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:54 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
Is the drive clutch working correct? When you rev it does it start to clamp the belt and bring it up on the drive clutch and down the driven clutch? the drive clutch could be stuck. I had mine stick engaged before, so id assume it could do the same thing in the disengaged position

In neutral the drive clutch clamps the belt and spins the driven clutch. In forward and reverse the drive clutch spins, but does not clap on the belt there for the driven clutch stays still. That's why I stopped leaning towards the books answer of it being the driven clutch key.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 pm 

How high are you revving? the clutch could have a high stall if it is aftermarket and wont start to clamp the belt until the mid rpm range. If the Engine drive clutch wont grab the belt when you rev id say somthing is up with the drive clutch. You don't want to lube it with any liquid spray as it will attract dirt. Comet makes a dry lube that works great http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMET-Clutch-Lu ... 3c&vxp=mtr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
How high are you revving? the clutch could have a high stall if it is aftermarket and wont start to clamp the belt until the mid rpm range. If the Engine drive clutch wont grab the belt when you rev id say somthing is up with the drive clutch. You don't want to lube it with any liquid spray as it will attract dirt. Comet makes a dry lube that works great http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMET-Clutch-Lu ... 3c&vxp=mtr" ."..

Thanks for the reply. I can rev full speed with no belt engagement while in forward or reverse, immediate engagement of the belt when in neutral.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm 

Engine off put the trans in forward then push the Odyssey does it spin the driven clutch and belt?

Note the rotation of the driven clutch when pushing it forward

Put it in reverse and push again does it spin the driven clutch and belt note rotation of the driven clutch again when pushing forward.

Report what you found.

Drain trans and see what comes out in oil?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:51 pm 

hoser wrote:
Engine off put the trans in forward then push the Odyssey does it spin the driven clutch and belt?

Note the rotation of the driven clutch when pushing it forward

Put it in reverse and push again does it spin the driven clutch and belt note rotation of the driven clutch again when pushing forward.

Report what you found.

Drain trans and see what comes out in oil?

Thanks

Engine off-

Trans in forward - pushing forward driven clutch rotates - counter clockwise and so does the belt when pushed forward - the drive clutch moves some but the belt mainly just slides around the drive clutch.

Trans in reverse - pulling backward driven clutch rotates - counter clockwise and so does the belt - the drive clutch moves some but the belt mainly just slides around the drive clutch.

I opened the trans fill hole bolt earlier and oil started pouring out. I opened the drain plug and more came out, it was a ton. I refilled to where the oil just started to exit the fill hole and stopped. It was over filled when I got it, but now it's correct. Nothing but oil came out, no metal or anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 pm 

No clue what is happening pull the driven clutch verify the key is still good on the shaft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 pm 

hoser wrote:
No clue what is happening pull the driven clutch verify the key is still good on the shaft.

That is what the book says, but it's acting like something is wrong with the drive clutch. When I saw what the book said I went ahead and ordered a driven key.

I wonder if it could just be a worn belt or something simple like that. I will start with the driven clutch.

If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know. All and any suggestions are welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 pm 

BigJermsGarage wrote:
hoser wrote:

That is what the book says, but it's acting like something is wrong with the drive clutch. When I saw what the book said I went ahead and ordered a driven key.

I wonder if it could just be a worn belt or something simple like that. I will start with the driven clutch.

If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know. All and any suggestions are welcome.

You havent measured the belt yet to see if its within the wear limits?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:38 pm 

hoser wrote:
BigJermsGarage wrote:
hoser wrote:

No, I will look at the manual to see what they are. Do you know off hand? When I went through the trouble shooting section for the transmission it went straight to the driven key, that was it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 pm 

hoser wrote:
BigJermsGarage wrote:
hoser wrote:

I took the belt off and measured it's width - 1 1/16 in or 26.98 mm. The manual calls for 30.2mm standard with 27 mm service limit. Does this sound like the answer?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:15 pm 

I have my doubts that the issue is in the belt. Maybe it wont work perfect, but it should at least attempt to move. If your drive clutch is not moving or gripping the belt when you rev the ody in gear that is your problem. the reason the belt spins in neutral because it is just barely sliding across the drive clutch and it wll halfway grab the belt enough to spin the free spinning clutch. put any load on it(putting trans in gear) and it wont go anywhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:13 pm 

is the clutch engaging when you rev it in f/r..if its not i would say that your problem is the clutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 pm 

fully wrote:
is the clutch engaging when you rev it in f/r..if its not i would say that your problem is the clutch

In forward and reverse I can rev really high and the drive clutch will not engage the belt. Any idea what part of the clutch or the whole thing? I would rather just replace part of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:35 pm 

If you put it in neutral rev it up and see if the drive clutch moves at all when you rev it up. If not I would take the drive clutch apart and see what the problem is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
If you put it in neutral rev it up and see if the drive clutch moves at all when you rev it up. If not I would take the drive clutch apart and see what the problem is.

In neutral the drive clutch spins, the belt spins and the driven clutch spins.

In Forward the drive clutch spins, the belt does not and the driven clutch does not.

In Reverse the drive clutch spins, the belt does not and the driven clutch does not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:14 am 

Let me explain.... as the clutch rotates its also supose to squeeze down to grab the belt. What I mean is rev up the Engine in neutral and see if the drive clutch ( the one on the Engine) engages the belt ( the outer most part of the clutch moves towards the Engine and clamps down on the belt) This will tell you if your Drive clutch is the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:26 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
Let me explain.... as the clutch rotates its also supose to squeeze down to grab the belt. What I mean is rev up the Engine in neutral and see if the drive clutch ( the one on the Engine) engages the belt ( the outer most part of the clutch moves towards the Engine and clamps down on the belt) This will tell you if your Drive clutch is the problem.

When I rev the Engine high in neutral the drive clutch does engage the belt and everything rotates including the driven clutch. I have not been able to watch the drive clutch while reving the Engine to actually see it sliding on the shaft to engage the belt, maybe I can get a second person over here tomorrow to work the throttle.

In forward and reverse no matter how high I rev the Engine the drive clutch just spins and does not engage the belt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:48 am 

just skimming your thread here, sounds like your primary clutch is stuck and not shifting. your belt and secondary clutch will spin when in neutral when the primary clutch is shifted down all the way. take a video of it running in neutral and have someone rev it up and get a shot of the primary clutch so we can see if the movable face is doing its job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 am 

nickRNR wrote:
just skimming your thread here, sounds like your primary clutch is stuck and not shifting. your belt and secondary clutch will spin when in neutral when the primary clutch is shifted down all the way. take a video of it running in neutral and have someone rev it up and get a shot of the primary clutch so we can see if the movable face is doing its job.

I second this.. It is only spinning in neutral because the tranny is providing no resistance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am 

nickRNR wrote:

Here is the video of the clutch ----- http://youtu.be/lIuZqBxnTQk I just uploaded it at 11:20AM and it's still processing, should be up in about 20 minutes or so. I also have a couple other videos of the odyssey as well loaded onto youtube, but the link above is just of the drive clutch.

It seems to be stuck until I hit really high rpms and then the clutch moves. Let me know what you think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm 

BigJermsGarage wrote:
nickRNR wrote:

Here is the video of the clutch ----- http://youtu.be/lIuZqBxnTQk" .".. I just uploaded it at 11:20AM and it's still processing, should be up in about 20 minutes or so. I also have a couple other videos of the odyssey as well loaded onto youtube, but the link above is just of the drive clutch.

It seems to be stuck until I hit really high rpms and then the clutch moves. Let me know what you think.

Well its a 102c

It might just have a really high stall

What color spring is in it ?

Profile E-mail