Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake bleeding Fl350
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

Well, all the forums said bleeding oddy brakes was a bit of a pain, how right they were!
Fronts are a pain in the a**, and as for the rear, well, they don't say in the workshop manuel
about picking up the rear with a cherry picker! Mity Vac are not the norm in rural france either.
After a day of swearing and Generaly getting narked off with the poor old oddy, i decided it was time to
go and see my pal the Le Mans race car engineer and we came up with a plan, we will push the fluid
rather than suck it as no mity vacs available. I found an old Gunson bleeder kit i used to use to bleed my Lotus
brakes, and my friend duly found a billet of ally and machined me the little gem below.
Fill the bottle, conect it to a s spare tyre, and open them bleeders, oh joy! let that fluid flow!
watch as all the old gunk is pushed out, and then the river flows clear with pure clean, air free fluid.
The brakes are rock hard, and once we made the adaptor it took just a couple of minutes to change all
the fluid out. Gonna do oddy number two tommorrow, brakes are fine but what the heck the fluid is probably as old
as the hills. If any of you like the idea, my friend can always make some more.
Sorry the photos are a bit out of focus, but you get the idea.
Next project, solve a crunching gear select ( if anyone knows how to adjust it please enlighten me)

Attachments:
DSCN1923.JPG
DSCN1923.JPG [ 76.36 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]
DSCN1924.JPG
DSCN1924.JPG [ 31.99 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]
DSCN1926.JPG
DSCN1926.JPG [ 35.61 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]
DSCN1927.JPG
DSCN1927.JPG [ 33.56 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding Fl350
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm 

Good looking Oddy. The brakes can be a pain in the ass for sure, Did you try the half pumping trick? That is what I had to do on mine. But I like the power bleeder that you used to bleed them. I would have never thought of the spare tire for air pressure. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:10 pm 

Neat!

I use a pressure bleeder to do my car not long ago, its slick indeed.

If doing it manually, I found that it is key to make sure the cables are adjusted right. if there is too much free travel, you wont get enough throw on the master.

Also adjust the star washer on the pads out till the wheels drag, that will reduce some more travel in the pistions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:46 pm 

Nice setup good idea glad its working out for you have seen many 350 owners fight the brake bleeding thing.

My policy is to bleed the brakes once a year on everything, I buy brake fluid by the gallon lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm 

I discussed this procedure years ago, glad someone else finally verified its worthiness!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1532&hilit=pressure+bleed

This technique works very well. Air pressure should be set to 35-45psi to push the fluid through the system.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:22 am 

I found putting the spare tyre i was running my system off at 2 bar to start.
The fluid comes out slowly to start with (due to the old fluid being thicker and more viscous)
Then as the clear new fluid works its way through it speeds up, when your happy that all
the old fluid is out (the colour changes, the new is much paler and clearer) lock it off and move to
the next cylinder.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 am 

when i had a pain bleeding the brakes i reverse bled them with a syringe and that worked great except the syringe will got bad if you leave fluid in it the rubber will expand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:52 am 

Try one of these.....a vacuum brake bleeder. Works well, all you have to do is remove the bleed screws, wrap the threads with plumbers tape and thread the screws in just enough so it makes a seal.....the use the vacuum canister.

Rand

Attachments:
image_13696.jpg
image_13696.jpg [ 19.92 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:25 pm 

After my FL350 has sat as long as this post. My brake reservoir was nearly empty. No sign of a leak that I can find.

I recall what a PITA it was my last time and the Mighty Vac was the tool of choice.
But, since then I have had this same idea as you did here.

I think I will give it a try if I get fed up with the Mighty Vac.