Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric fuel pumps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 am 

Well I tested the new Quantum electric fuel pumps today.
I give them two thumbs up. They worked flawless.
I hooked them up to the same line as the Bosch water pump so you only have one switch and if you forget to turn it on then you run out of fuel. Then you will remember.
They are also hooked up just like the original fuel pump with the check valve bypass to tank. I did this because I didn't want to dead head the pump even though this pump shuts down the flow automatically for you. I did this as an experiment and it worked. Later on in the ride I crimped the return line to tank and the pump did as it was engineered to do. So I guess the choice is yours. Honestly I think the return line is not needed because my machine seemed to run a bit better when I pinched the line off. My brother didn't want me to fk with his machine so I just left it with the return line running to tank.
Also these little buggers are noisy.

On a negative note about Quantum --------- their packaging is a joke. See pics.
They put the pump in a pathetic so called bubble wrap (Saran wrap basically) and then threw it in a box.
The pics tell the story as you can see the damage inside and outside the box.
When I first saw that before I even opened it I was already afraid of damage.
Their shipping department needs a kick. They should know that packages take a beating during shipping. Nobody gives a crap about your product during transit so it must be packed bullet proof.
CO

Attachments:
20190723_142013.jpg
20190723_142013.jpg [ 35.86 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
20190723_142058.jpg
20190723_142058.jpg [ 39.32 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
20190723_142037.jpg
20190723_142037.jpg [ 31.73 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
20190723_142141.jpg
20190723_142141.jpg [ 30.53 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
20190729_191048.jpg
20190729_191048.jpg [ 74.22 KiB | Viewed 2191 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pumps
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 am 

When you pinched off the return line, did you notice if the drain for the carb was dripping fuel at all?

Did a mount of some sort come with the pump or did you make something? What size U-Bolt?

Thank you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 am 

This pump?

https://www.highflowfuel.com/search-2.html?q=HFP-181

What did you do with the 4x wires coming from the pump?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:47 am 

ZeroClient wrote:
When you pinched off the return line, did you notice if the drain for the carb was dripping fuel at all?

Did a mount of some sort come with the pump or did you make something? What size U-Bolt?

Thank you

1) Pinched off line:
The carb did not drip any fuel if I pinched the line. We are good to go with these in my opinion.

2) Mount:
These pumps come with NO mount. You have to make your own. Don't remember size of U-bolt.

3) https://www.highflowfuel.com/search-2.html?q=HFP-181
Yes that's the one.

4) 4x wires coming from pump: ?????????
I don't know what you are talking about. There are only two wires coming from the pump.
That plug at the end obviously don't work for us so what I did was remove the plastic bit and just wrapped the power/ground wires to the stak-on connectors at the end of the wire.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 pm 

Pic of the death machine electric pump.
Going for a ride in a couple of hours with this machine and can report back here.
This is the machine with the homemade head and welded piston.
CO

Attachments:
20190731_085954.jpg
20190731_085954.jpg [ 73.92 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]
20190731_090002.jpg
20190731_090002.jpg [ 68.54 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:51 pm 

I RESERVE JUDGEMENT ON THESE PUMPS.
POST LATER TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME !!!!!!!!!

CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 pm 

Just got home.
Well Quantum pumps just cost me an Engine.
Loading my brothers machine on the trailer I noticed that I did not hear that pump.
Checked and it was not running so I tapped it with a screwdriver. The pump started right away.
That should have been a warning to me but NO I thought it would be ok. It wasn't.
On the ride we stopped several times and twice I noticed the pump did not start up. So I tapped it with a rock and sure enough it started. On the way home it blew up. Beer poacher told me the Engine just quit and there was a pile of smoke. FUK. He was the one driving this machine.
Will do an autopsy in the coming days and post pics.
Obviously these pumps are hit and miss. The one on my machine and the death machine run fine.
We took my brothers machine because I have an electrical issue on the death machine.
It's real upsetting because I just rebuilt this Engine a few weeks ago because of a gasket leak in the counter balancer area.
My brother was really happy with it yesterday and said it had tons of compression. He could let off the throttle and not need the brakes much. This is the super Engine --- Ported, milled cylinder, bills pipe, flat slide carb -- blah blah blah.
Quantum pumps -- two thumbs down.
CO

Attachments:
20190731_172635.jpg
20190731_172635.jpg [ 108.83 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 pm 

Well now I'm worried. Hmm.

Maybe it was the AV gas :-) :shock: (joking)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 am 

Garemie wrote:
Well now I'm worried. Hmm.

Maybe it was the AV gas :-) :shock: (joking)

The other two pumps seem to run fine but the one on the death machine only has a few minutes on it.
The one on my machine has a few rides on it now with no issue yet.
The only difference between the set up on my machine and my brothers machine (the one that blew up today) is that on my machine I pinched off the return line so the pump must shut down and on my brothers machine I left the return line open, which causes the pump to run full time.
Honestly I can't see how that would make any difference though.
In the future I will disconnect the return line to tank, not that I think it will make any fkn difference.

Now I gota find out what the electrical problem is with the death machine.
Then I can rebuild my brothers machine ----- AGAIN ----- Thanks Quantum !!!!!!
But I am sure this same thing would have happened eventually with the vacuum pumps as well.

I would switch back to the vacuum pumps because they were good for years but it seems the quality control it non existent on those too.
I will not be contacting Quantum because I don't want to be told that it was probably a maintenance issue at my end. I'll just take the hit.
Businesses of today are all working on the maximum profit model -- get the customers money and then bulshyte them till the cows come home if they want the money back. They sure as hell won't pay me my shipping or an Engine rebuild either.
That's what happened to me when I bought a brand new chevy back in 1989. In the first year the paint blew off the bumper 5x's. Then the paint blew off the hood then the cab then the tailgate. Each time they just repainted that specific area. The fuel injection blew up, the seat panels ripped (even on passenger side), the computer blew up, the throw out bearing went etc etc. When I complained the faggots at chevy just said sorry you're not happy with our product and then had the balls to send me brochures on new chevy's.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:07 am 

You going to leave the pumps on the other machines or try something else?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:46 am 

Hard to tell which machine is which from the pictures. Also sounds like you had a DOA pump with some bad internal connections. Not good quality control I'm affraid.

Did you have a vent on the fuel tank of the machine which blew?

Another idea I have thinking... Maybe you can somehow set up a pressure switch in combination with the on/off switch? I think you said you have a separate switch for water/fuel pump. So, turn that on and the pump runs to 2psi. Put a low pressure switch in-line with the 2psi fuel supply, and wire that back to the on/off switch. That way if the pressure ever drops from fuel starvation, flow issue, etc; the Engine will just be cut with the on/off switch. Sort of like a fail-safe. Its at least worth a try if it can be done??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:14 am 

ZeroClient wrote:
Hard to tell which machine is which from the pictures. Also sounds like you had a DOA pump with some bad internal connections. Not good quality control I'm affraid.

Another idea I have thinking... Maybe you can somehow set up a pressure switch in combination with the on/off switch? I think you said you have a separate switch for water/fuel pump. So, turn that on and the pump runs to 2psi. Put a low pressure switch in-line with the 2psi fuel supply, and wire that back to the on/off switch. That way if the pressure ever drops from fuel starvation, flow issue, etc; the Engine will just be cut with the on/off switch. Sort of like a fail-safe. Its at least worth a try if it can be done??

Very good idea!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:31 am 

I wonder if the pump has some sort of fail safe in it that doesn't allow it to run continuously like that since it's not designed to be installed in that configuration?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am 

TerryH wrote:
You going to leave the pumps on the other machines or try something else?

I don't know what I am going to do yet ----- still real mad.
I don't mind spending money and time on something but it has to work.
Very frustrated right now.

ZeroClient wrote:

Yes

ZeroClient wrote:
Another idea I have thinking... Maybe you can somehow set up a pressure switch in combination with the on/off switch? Sort of like a fail-safe. Its at least worth a try if it can be done??

That is a good idea but I am not an electron mechanic.
I would have no clue how to do that or what parts I would need for that set up.
It seems very low pressure so does anyone make that kind of switch for fuel ??
On our race car years ago my dad wired it up so that if the oil pressure dropped or the water over heated then it would kill the ignition. We did it that way because I had no time to look at gauges.
He was an electron mechanic. Also the pressures are a lot higher in a race car, unlike our oddys at 2 psi.

It's really upsetting because my brother and I don't get out much anymore and he really liked his machine after the rebuild. We fixed it up to go shooting and now it's fukd.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm 

Sorry to hear this CO.
Is it possible you just overheated the pump by letting it run constantly? If I remember correctly, my ninja pump would only run for about 2 seconds at a time, just enough to keep the bowl full.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:16 pm 

TerryH wrote:
I wonder if the pump has some sort of fail safe in it that doesn't allow it to run continuously like that since it's not designed to be installed in that configuration?
liduno wrote:
Sorry to hear this CO.
Is it possible you just overheated the pump by letting it run constantly? If I remember correctly, my ninja pump would only run for about 2 seconds at a time, just enough to keep the bowl full.

Normally I would say you guys have a very valid point but there is a problem with that theory.
The machine was sitting in the shop all night and all I wanted to do was load it on the trailer.
That's when I noticed the pump not running when I flipped the switch to start it.
These little buggers are noisy and it's real obvious when they are not on.
The problem started at home but I thought I was good to go. I thought wrong.

You still may have a point though.
CO

Edit: At the end of the day boys, you better be real cautious with regards to fuel supply.
Pulse pump or electric pump it don't matter, you're ded if you run out of fuel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:38 pm 

Oh I misunderstood. I thought it only needed a wack after the ride.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm 

sorry to hear about your Engine, just when you were starting to get out and have some good rides.
personally I would go back to the pulse pump, many options to choose from, maybe just stay clear of the Chinese knock offs, several types available, check out the pumps for snow mobiles. my pilot had the stock pump on it for 30 years and never had an issue, currently I'm running rotax Engine with dual watercraft carbs, I just recently bought a rebuild kit just so I could do the pump, at Zero's suggestion, I spent the $50 on a genuine mikuni kit, so far so good "knock on wood"
just for fun, and I know you are good for the odd stuff, you could go with a single watercraft carb with the built in pump, not sure I have seen anyone doing that on anything other than a rotax, you could be the first!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:24 pm 

Kuma wrote:
personally I would go back to the pulse pump, many options to choose from, maybe just stay clear of the Chinese knock offs, several types available, check out the pumps for snow mobiles. my pilot had the stock pump on it for 30 years and never had an issue,

Well I have done that.
I had 4 Chinese knock offs that were brand new and failed the flow test.
So I bought 2 new Japanese pumps from Polaris (you can tell by the stamping insignia's). These also failed new out of the box. Yes I tested them for flow on more than one Engine to be sure.
This is why I thought I would try the electric pumps when they were posted here. It sounded like the cure. It wasn't.
Don't know why I have had so many sudden failures at the same time.
It's kind of like my poker playing in Vegas. I was running bad for several years. Got sucked out on constantly when I had the best hand and all the money was in. Got so frustrated I quit playing poker completely for 7 years. Went back to the world series this June and did well.
Looks like this pump show is the same thing. I'm running bad.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 pm 

MIKUNI FUEL PUMP

Part # DF44-211

I have had good luck with this pump. I thought to myself WOW when I read you went to a electric pump, almost had me considering it.

That really sucks about the Engine, we have all been there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 pm 

Sorry to hear about your brothers Engine,that sucks! This is the reason why I stated in my thread that I wasn't convinced yet and ordered a stock one from socalgi.We need to see more real world testing on these pumps,thanks for being a guinea pig but real sorry it didnt work out

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm 

Before we totally condemn these electric pumps, I must say that my machine has been on several rides now with no issue.
The pump on the death machine only has a few minutes of idle time but no issue yet. I won't know until I figure out the electrical issue on it.
It may be the stator. Right now I have jumpered out the change switch and will test later tonight after the sun goes down.
My brothers machine still in the shop and I have not looked at it yet. Will post autopsy pics when I get to it.
So basically no matter what you choose it's a crap shoot.
If your electric pump stops even once then just throw it away, if you haven't already blown your Engine.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:42 pm 

For whatever it's worth, my Quantum pump continues to work perfectly. I'm going to stick with it. I'm waiting on a new throttle cable to arrive. Once I have that I'm going to ride as much as I can. Guess we will see how it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:21 pm 

I have a feeling it's important to have a GOOD supply of power. Maybe run it off of it's own relay so that you're guaranteed power. I had weird water pump issues where the wires to the pump would show 13v but when I would try to run it nothing would happen. Then I ran a new power supply and never had problems again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm 

Garemie wrote:
I have a feeling it's important to have a GOOD supply of power. Maybe run it off of it's own relay so that you're guaranteed power. I had weird water pump issues where the wires to the pump would show 13v but when I would try to run it nothing would happen. Then I ran a new power supply and never had problems again.

A good suggestion.
I will have to look but I am pretty sure it is heavy gauge wire. I have a bunch of wire on rolls that I got from a previous job that they just threw out. My gauge sizes are limited but I always use what I got on hand. Most of the time it's heavy. Will have to look.
CO

Profile E-mail