Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:09 pm 

Hello I have a few questions about Sparks during cranking and pulling over.
I have owned this machine for 20 years it has been in storage about 15 years I took it out of storage last year and with fresh gas in a carb clean started right up and I used it a few times during the summer then the compression was real low at 90 psi so this year I had a new Engine installed I did swap over the stator, flywheel and pull cord onto a new block.
I'm now unable to start it I do not have any spark during cranking with the starter or pulling over by hand I have checked all the wiring to the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) the fuse so the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) has a ground that is created with the ignition key or the start run switch and then I tested the coils the exciter coil I believe it's called and it's pick up coil I think both were in the ohms reading as tested from the roll cage area I have a ground on that CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) I didn't touch any of the wiring except the plugs for stator/alternator.
I have read a lot of posts and stunned a lot of research and I can't come up with a definitive answer as to why I do not have spark I do not have spark during cranking with a brand new battery or while pulling the pull cord with the spark plug grounded on the cylinder head.
What I have read is you should always have spark when pulling by hand and sometimes you could have a spark loss when using the starter but what I'm not understanding is if the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) system does not require a battery or any type of positive battery voltage what does pulling it over hand do to create the spark that turning it over with the starter does not if the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) system does not use a battery.
I have a spare coil a spare CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box and several spark plugs that I have tried and I cannot get a spark no matter what I do Is there a ground or something else that I'm missing.
oh I have also read that the flywheel that I did swap over to the new Engine could have sheared the keyway would that affect the timing and create a no spark situation I'm thinking I need to take the flywheel apart and check the key way but it definitely cranks over the Engine well so I know the ring gear and flywheel are making contact with the crank enough to turn it over but now I don't know if it's in certain timing issue
So I guess the real question is could it be the flywheel out of time creating the no spark issue???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:56 pm 

Do you have a ground strap from the Engine to the frame?

If you do check it for continuity.

You may try unscrewing the spark plug cap, then cut off bout .25 inch of the spark plug wire and screw the cap back on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:51 pm 

An out of time flywheel will still spark. Run- no, spark- yes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 am 

I have tried 2 coils, 2 CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) with no spark.. Thinking those not the issue.
Will only crank with starter in neutral so I figure should be sparking while cranking or pulling. Neutral switch good

The black/white at CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) grounds when key off or switch off on wheel

I have battery grounded to block at factory location with 2 green wires to ground at frame

I will cut back coil wire and screw? On cap.
Not sure what else ? clean ground.chevk wires more.
Good to know that should be sparking with flywheel possible out of time. I had flywheel and stator off so I could have issue there.. doubtful though

I update when I figure out

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 am 

Get your trusty digital volt meter out and set to ohms. Check the coil. Should be about 4K ohms or so ground to plug cap. Over 10k and it’s likely bad. The pulse coil should measure between 100~300ohms.

Next

You might have a bad stator. You can do some peak ACv checks on the pulse and charge coil. They should read about 0.4vAC and about 25vAC respectively while cranking.

The lighting coil can also be tested but it has nothing at all to do with spark, unless it’s shorted to any other wire.

I have a stator and flywheel I can sell if you need.

Attachments:
AE5EC2F1-2BB6-47B5-A3BE-1690BB4AC827.jpeg
AE5EC2F1-2BB6-47B5-A3BE-1690BB4AC827.jpeg [ 134.63 KiB | Viewed 645 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:46 pm 

I took the spark plug wire boot off cut quarter inch off reinstalled boot I have read that the spark is not very bright on these on a compared to a typical other two-stroke very weak spark barely noticeable in the shade but I was seeing spark today so I threw the spark plug in and my brand new Engine fired right up and has one heat cycle in it
I probably had spark all yesterday and worried all night about it but now it seems to be consistent again Thank you for the replies that I have gotten in a testing I hope this will help someone else with some testing on their coils and whatnot thanks again you guys rock

Profile E-mail