Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next project
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:02 pm 

My next project.
CO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkYO0o4qhjg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Next project
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:40 pm 

Oh man, what a tease, I watched the whole video hoping to see what you were going to make :-)

Something I saw on another forum, actually a FB group, someone was 3D printing his intake manifold from urethane, it looked as though it came out really good, you need a 3D printer so you cam make all kinds of discontinued items, but you may be like me somewhat computer challenged when it comes to CAD drawing which I believe what you need for the printers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:40 pm 

Oh man, what a tease, I watched the whole video hoping to see what you were going to make :-)

Something I saw on another forum, actually a FB group, someone was 3D printing his intake manifold from urethane, it looked as though it came out really good, you need a 3D printer so you cam make all kinds of discontinued items, but you may be like me somewhat computer challenged when it comes to CAD drawing which I believe what you need for the printers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:42 pm 

Kuma wrote:

I promised Bob (Rppjr) that I'd tell him what I would be making before I tell anyone else.
This project will take a while because I still haven't ordered any ABS and I still haven't finished the molder. I really hope it will be successful. Also the next two weeks here are suppose to be nice weather for riding and shooting. My mom is keeping me busy too with doctors appointments, covid shots, shopping - blah blah blah.
This was suppose to be a winter project but I just got restless.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:45 pm 

Kuma wrote:
Something I saw on another forum, actually a FB group, someone was 3D printing his intake manifold from urethane, it looked as though it came out really good,

I know exactly who that is. He's from Florida.
He is a member here but he told me to keep my mouth shut about it. I did.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:23 am 

Bubble top odyssey à la Ian Russell? LOL I know you’ve seen full custom garage.

Since I’m noticing hoods on your machines, I’m guessing you’re making body parts? Cooling wings? Is that thing big enough to make windshields?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:58 pm 

liduno wrote:
Bubble top odyssey à la Ian Russell? LOL I know you’ve seen full custom garage.

Since I’m noticing hoods on your machines, I’m guessing you’re making body parts? Cooling wings? Is that thing big enough to make windshields?

Nice try fishing for answers - LOL :-) .
You're close though.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:12 pm 

Didn't look big enough for fenders or tubs, so the only thing left that I can think of would be air box?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm 

liduno wrote:
Didn't look big enough for fenders or tubs, so the only thing left that I can think of would be air box?

Size is: 18 1/2" x 27" minus 1 1/2" on each for the clamping frame.
Don't hold your breath waiting for this project.
I still have to:
1) complete bottom vacuum box
2) possibly add a vacuum tank for better suction and definition of parts ?
3) electrical - did some today but got the wrong part
4) figure out holding fixture for the clamping frame
5) order plastic sheets - I think I have a line on that but not sure what thickness to order because of the limited amount of heat available. In fact I'm not sure how hot this thing will get period - this WOULD kill the project right at the start
6) make molds for parts - looked at that today and I think one project is already dead
This thing is not a 5 minute job.

Cloudy and cool today but starting tomorrow it's going to get near 90' and stay there.
When that happens I don't work much in my shop so that it don't get too hot in the house.
Lots of doctor and other stuff for my mom. Jobs around my house like cut the grass, fix some dry rot on the front door, get on the roof and spread moss killer, clean the gutters.
I'm fn busy.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:24 am 

Did you see the episode of full custom garage we’re Ian made the bubble Tops? Not quite the same thing as what you’re doing here, but it was a pretty interesting episode.

I actually had a friend, years ago, that worked for a company that made motorcycle body parts using vacuum forming.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:14 am 

liduno wrote:
Did you see the episode of full custom garage we’re Ian made the bubble Tops? Not quite the same thing as what you’re doing here, but it was a pretty interesting episode.
I actually had a friend, years ago, that worked for a company that made motorcycle body parts using vacuum forming.

I just looked that up. Interesting.
My machine will hopefully make copies of various shapes and I am still running ideas in my head. No progress at this point. It will happen just will take time. It's very hot here all of a sudden. Temps in the 90'F and apparently going to be near 100'F by friday. Too hot to work in the shop and too hot now to ride - LOL. Fme no middle ground.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:58 pm 

Doesn't it cool off once you start to get some elevation?
c'mon red riding hood it's not porridge!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:15 pm 

Kuma wrote:
Doesn't it cool off once you start to get some elevation?
c'mon red riding hood it's not porridge!

If I remember my skydive training from the 80's, I believe it's 4'F/1000' ?
The most elevation we get here is about 5500' +/- a couple hundred feet.
So your looking at maybe 20'F tops. That's not much when we are talking 60% to 70% humidity.
Ordered the plastic sheets today.
Some ABS 1/16" & 1/8" (2) 4'x8'
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:15 am 

I am making some progress on this.
Thinking about it everyday. Still waiting for the ABS to show up and not sure on delivery date. It's coming from back east by truck so that will take a while.
Almost got the bottom box made and now working on a check valve using a ping pong ball. May not hook up the vacuum tank and just use a vacuum cleaner for the first test. The first test will be the important one anyways because it will tell me if the heating elements I have will even work. I got these elements from a crack head camp. It was abandoned when the pipeline guys put the run on them because they will soon be running another line through that area. The crackers had a couple of toaster ovens and a microwave laying there. I took the elements out. They also had a small refrigerator laying there and that's where I got that vacuum pump you saw in that Engine mount video I posted. Even crack head camps have their uses.
Have patience.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:27 pm 

Made good progress on the vacuum former last night.
Only things left to do:
1) Make the frame handles
2) Put some foam seal on the box for the drop frame so vacuum won't leak by
3) Make my first project mold -- I think I will try to make the Kleem air box lid.
It will be the Chineseum version.

Looked at my email and plastic should show up today or tomorrow.
CO

Attachments:
20210708_091313.jpg
20210708_091313.jpg [ 46.69 KiB | Viewed 3172 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:06 pm 

Looking good. Can not wait to see how you make the mold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:23 pm 

CO, how think of plastic do you think you will be able to form? and how large?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Looking good. Can not wait to see how you make the mold.
Kuma wrote:
CO, how think of plastic do you think you will be able to form? and how large?

:-) ok I can see you guys are itchy :-) .
The mold: I'm going to take the original oddy air box top and just screw a formed piece of wood on top. Then vacuum form. It will be chineseium style (I'll explain that later if this even works).
Size of molded parts: The actual bed is 16 1/2" x 25". But obviously you can't really go out to the edge. I'm thinking about 14 x 23 if I'm lucky. Can't see doing anything that size anyways. I built it this size for a reason. I want to build roof top storage units (aka varroom style) if this is even successful. I ordered two sizes of plastic -- 1/16" ABS black and 1/8" ABS black. They only had two colors - white or black. I got 6 sheets of each. The reason I got this thin stuff is because I've never done this before and I want a reasonable chance of success. With thick plastic you need a lot of heat and also a timer ( I did research). You need a timer to cycle the heat on and off on thicker stuff so the heat can penetrate the plastic. They also run a vacuum tank. I've made provisions for that too if my vacuum cleaner is not powerful enough but then there will be another delay while I build that. I bought some fittings and a ping pong ball to make a check valve. I think we are getting a bit optimistic at this early stage though. We will see.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:55 pm 

I’m no mod maker, but don’t you want the mod to be smaller than the finished part? If you use a OEM lid as a mold, the finished part will be larger by the thickness of plastic. Also, will you need to use some type of release agent so it does not stick to the mold. Just some random thoughts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm 

rmesser wrote:
I’m no mod maker, but don’t you want the mod to be smaller than the finished part?

Yes hence my comment on "chineseium".

rmesser wrote:
Also, will you need to use some type of release agent so it does not stick to the mold.

Never thought about that one. Hummmm.
I will try one without release agent and one with vaseline.
Good idea.
CO

Edit: This is not the Honda factory here.
It's just F around fun stuff for me to play in my shop and dream up stupid shyte.
If it works great -- If not -- well failure is an option. :-)
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:20 am 

Vacuum former is COMPLETE !!
Only thing I didn't do yet is the wooden handles but I don't think I really need them if I wear gloves.
One of the toughest things to figure out was how to hold the clamping frame up. It was kicking my butt for days. Settled on the magnet idea with a chain so that I could adjust the height. It seems to be good. I will flip the magnets off the handles with my thumb when it's time to drop the frame on the mold. I experimented tonight using a plastic bag and wasn't really impressed with the suction. Then I removed the filter. Man what a difference. I couldn't get the plastic bag off without ripping it, and that's with my worn out shopvac. I was planning on using the house vac as it has more power but I think either one will work.
Just waiting on the ABS. Now I gota make an airbox mold.
CO

Attachments:
20210708_194453.jpg
20210708_194453.jpg [ 41.74 KiB | Viewed 3129 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:47 pm 

should be able to pop it off the mold with a little positive pressure?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 am 

Well look what showed up today.
I took one week to get from the other end of the country (Toronto) to Vancouver, and then another week to go the 80 miles from Vancouver to here. Unbelievable.
Anyways the 1/16" ABS looks nice. The 1/8" ABS is MASSIVE. I don't think my little machine will put out enough heat to melt this 1/8 stuff but will give one a try. Pretty sure it will be a failure though. So now I have to find the time to make a kleem air box mold. Then have to wait for the weather to cool down. It's July so it's normally hot here. Don't want to do this and heat up my shop.
CO

Attachments:
20210712_224146.jpg
20210712_224146.jpg [ 31.35 KiB | Viewed 3036 times ]
20210712_224230.jpg
20210712_224230.jpg [ 36.41 KiB | Viewed 3036 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:44 am 

Purchased a few parts today to make a mold.
Bought a kids belly board for a pool and a tupperware container.
For the next week we are suppose to have real nice weather here so tomorrow my brother and I are going for the first ride of the year. Hopefully NO drama. Have to check on my bang bang stick that I buried out there. Will be interesting to see if it rusted up after the winter. Hopefully I can even find it. Got a rough idea where it's buried.
So maybe in a week I'll be able to make the first pull on my vacuum former.
Will see what the weather is like. If it's to hot outside then I don't want to heat up my shop.
I think I changed my mind on the Kleem air box and will try the other mold idea first.
CO

Attachments:
20210714_213623.jpg
20210714_213623.jpg [ 45.36 KiB | Viewed 2994 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:57 pm 

It looks like the weather is co-operating today and tomorrow.
The oppressive heat has died down.
Looks like it will be 75'F tomorrow and 82'F the next few days. So I think I will try to do a pull on my vacuum former. I will post a video if successful OR unsuccessful.
CO

Profile E-mail