Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:13 am 

I live in the the San Juaquin Valley near Bakersfield CA. I just bought my Pilot about 9 months ago. I've wanted one for years, and I happen to be the type of person that likes to have things in new and reliable condition. So the first thing I did was tear it down to the frame. I went through all of the parts , and replaced all of the damaged and worn ones. I put it back to new and stock condition other than the pipe and silencer that came with it. After riding it for awhile, I had a ring seize and melted the piston. So, after following the great advise and instuctions found on these members sites, I did a very successful top-end and bottom-end rebuild. I then read and started to follow Hoser's advise and steps to getting more power for your pilot. I have made the air-box modification, put on a Delta v-force reed valve,a Power Bloc Clutch, and for my ear's sake the FMF Q silencer. I couldn't be happier with my results. It really runs great, and has alot more power. My next step in the future will be porting it, and I personally think I will have Dizzy do it, just seems to me that if you are going to trust your Engine work to someone else it might as well be the best, and for the most part I hear that he is "THE MAN".
Since I increased the performance of my Engine and clutch, I noticed the wear on the stock suspension. I usually go riding in the hills, on trails ,in dry river beds and around the country side, with the occasional trip to Pismo Dunes. I have realized that I do not want to sacrifice my ability to go on narrow paths, since most of the people I ride with are on 4x4 on the fly quads. If I was to widen my pilot, it would be very hard to go where these guys go. But my suspension was in need of work. So after talking to some people, and even the ones at Works I found out that the rear shocks, after being rebuilt with 10w or 15w weight shock oil, are just fine and really not worth upgrading if you aren't going with a long travel upgrade. I have looked into the front suspension as well, and have found out that you can get alittle more travel from a Works shock for your stock a-arms, and with the right setup like Litespeed's, It will take alot for the average rider to bottom out the front end, unless you do some real jumping( and how often will you actually do that).
So, I did Hoser's rear shock rebuild with 15w oil, and what a difference, the rearend feels great. I'm planning to do the Works Litespeed setup for the front shocks soon. After that the porting of the Engine.
So, now it is my turn to get on the old soap box and speak my opinion(and that's all it is MY OPINION) I started about a year ago with the old POOA site, and have read alot of bad blood between alot of the members, and now have started to see it here. I really haven't been a big part of this board, other than the occasional question or answer, but I've got to say this" If it wasn't for you guys, where in the HELL would someone like me get the info I have needed to tackle some of the jobs I've done to my pilot? Your knowlege, info, and opinions are priceless. NEVER FORGET THAT! It seems that that is what this board is all about, not all of this petty SHIT, back and forth about who did what, and who has what, and who said what. Keep the info coming, and the great advise, and don't forget what the true meaning for having this board is all about, helping the average pilot and oddysey owner with their problems and needs, and getting help yourself. Hey Faux Pas, it seems that you have stuck with the site ,and gotten passed the BullShit. Good luck with the modifications you choose to do with your pilot, and don't forget to let us all know the pro and cons that you find out along the way. Remember that a picture says a thousand words, and don't forget to post them as you go!!! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:07 am 

Amen, brother!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:43 pm 
I have found in my experience on message boards that people will say things and take on a persona anonymously that they would never do if they were sitting face to face. Words can hurt, and when flames escalate, it can get ugly. Once spoken, it's hard to take them back. I fall into the trap of reacting to my interpretation of what I THINK someone is saying or implying, and am wrong more often than not. If I mistook humor for insult, I apologise. The important thing is to look at the big picture as UltimateBob has so eloquently stated. Everything in your post is absolutely true. Being a FNG, I appreciate more than I can say the wealth of information and pics here. Thanks again. UltimateBob, you are describing my situation almost exactly. I am in the process right now of stripping it down to check all the moving parts on the frame. I am starting from there and will add things as I put it back together. I'll document as I go.