Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:07 am 

O.K. I know its been awhile since on the board last, but yes - It it b/c of my Pilot. I have been working on it for the past six months and rarely maybe 5 or 6 times riding it - all test rides. Well, you guys have always come through for me in the past and I'm hoping you'll have the answer to my headache once again. Here's the problem - the coolant is being pushed out of the radiator via the overflow line and into the reserve/overflow tank and from there out of the reserve/overflow tank and down and out the overflow tube that run downs the frame. It is NOT Boiling over - i'm running at about 167 degrees on a 78 degree day with minimal humidity and at about 500' elevation. It is mainly happening everytime I crank the throttle. Now, before I go any further I'll tell you my entire setup. motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )): Totally redone - new everything - cylinder stock bore but is mildly ported, head is shaved down to run 100 octane, 39 mm carb, delta reed cage, torque pipe and silencer. Porting and head done by ATVR. Also have a Digitron Gauge with sensors for CHT(coolant temp), EGT, and Tach. I am running DexCool with Water Wetter, and obviously H20 at a 50/50 mix. I never had this problem before redoing the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). Is this happening b/c of the higher compression and increased performance of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?? Do I have to remove the reserve/overflow tank and seal the radiator where the overflow line attaches? I don't know what to do - please help? This is one area(of many, LOL) - cooling systems that I am by no means even remotely close to an expert at. Thanks in advance - any and all help/opinions/advice/scorning/criticism welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:33 am 

I have had the same problem in the past your head gasket is leaking and the compression is
pressurizing the coolant system and blowing the coolant out the over flow tube as you indicated,
I extended the over flow tube up by my feet so I can see it, when I see coolant in the line I
know it is leaking, run it long enough with it leaking and it will blow out almost all the coolant
in the system.

If your using the Honda gasket you can see black specs floating in the coolant when
you remove the radiator cap, looks like black pepper.

You need to remove the head and cylinder then the cylinder studs and lap both the head
and cylinder to ensure they are flat.

Once you get it apart take some pictures and post... If you look close at the head gasket
you will tiny lines going from the cylinder into the water jacket and most of that black
coating will be missing in the area of the leak.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:57 am 

thanks Hoser. I checked the coolant - seems like it is my head gasket - odd b/c ATVR were the ones who did my porting on the cylinder and milled the head as well(note the sarcasm there). Also, I did use a head gasket that was part of an aftermarket kit(oops!)and not the stock Honda one. What do you recommend I do if the head is uneven and my problem is not just the gasket itslef?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:57 am 

Was the gasket a silver graphite color? If so they are actually a good gasket and
I would not blame the gasket for the problem, the Honda gasket is only good to the
second over bore any larger than that then you need to use the after market
gasket, check the surfaces and see where you are if they are not both flat will
never seal.

There is a little tab on the head that faces the carb can you measure the thickness
of that tab this will give me an idea how much was removed, it is possible that
enough materail was removed that the dome area is now flexing while in use and
causing the gasket to leak.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:26 pm 

As for the gasket Hoser, sorry, I don't remember. However the cylinder is brand new on original bore. As for the head it was shaved by ATVR by .001" (10 thousandths of an inch). And the tab you're talking about - well unfortunately when I received it in the mail it was broken off, but not in a bad way- I just dremeled it down to match the rest of the outer circumference of the head. If I had to guess, by my memory - which even a 24 yrs. of age seems like its starting to go - I'd have to say that there was about 3/32 " so basically more than 1/16 " but not more than 1/8 " I apoligize for the slow going on getting the Pilot apart and posting pics but I am very limited on time for that. Supposed to be going on vacation next week and still have to deal with my R6 rear wheel bearings as well.