Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:47 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I am leary about plugging the hole on the other side or magneto side... IF your vent gets plugged up wont this create back pressure that will blow out a seal??? Randy shows his method is to plug the hole on the balancer gear side, so if there is blockage it wont cause an air leak in the seal behind the balancer gears...

If the case vent gets plugged it can build pressure and blow the seal.

Does not matter where the crank case vent is located if its plugged it builds pressure in the same location.

The affected seals from the over pressurization would be the same, the crank seal on the clutch side this would suck balancer oil into the crank case of the Engine OR it would leak oil out behind the clutch, on the 350 the seal you see behind the clutch is the balancer case seal, balancer oil is behind it, on the Pilot the seal you see behind the clutch is the crank case.

So where I plug the old vent system does not really matter if the new vent becomes plugged the end result is the same, where and how I plug the old vents system is real easy and the screw I used is real handy you also can undo my plug and restore the factory vent system real easily if you ever felt the need to.

Just trying to find the fast east effective way to install the new vent or quick and dirty as I like to call it lol, the way I installed a new vent on Mudbogger's Engine was more complicated than I like. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3596&start=75

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:30 pm 

I didn't want to have to drill a hole in the side of the ballancer cover either. And don't forget when you do this you also have to modify the belt guard to accommodate the fitting that is protruding from the side of the case.

The pro side of doing the vent in the side of the case is that the vent is not in the path of the oil that is slung from the gears whereas the dip stick modification is in direct line with the slung gear oil.

As far as the flywheel side of the Engine is not really going to build up that much pressure. The seal that encloses the wiring that exits the case at that point is no where near air tight. Just look at the Engine when you pull it out. It usually has a large amount of crap built up around the wiring on the outside of the case from the balancer oil seeping out of this area and remember this side of the case is vented!

Check out the post for the almost last revision of the modification I made.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8323&hilit=revision+1" ."..

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 pm 

Randman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:
I am leary about plugging the hole on the other side or magneto side... IF your vent gets plugged up wont this create back pressure that will blow out a seal??? Randy shows his method is to plug the hole on the balancer gear side, so if there is blockage it wont cause an air leak in the seal behind the balancer gears...

Dave, I have covered that issue also. I have just a small hose leading from the factory vent with a small diffuser in the end of it. It has a 40 micron filter on it which is about .0015" which should be enough to keep the crap out.

Rand

I changed my oil the other day, and it came out whish grey... had a slight gas smell!! my thinking is while chsing my tail with the oil puking its way up my long tube I blew a seal out... and had I vented the side cover chances are great I wouldn't have this issue... and if Im going to blow a seal I would rather replace the one behind the clutch than those crank seals, an easier fix...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:02 pm 

Can you post pictures of the white vent bellows Rand sold you? I am wondering if it is as flexible as the vent he originally sold for the kits he sells.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:06 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
Randman wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Dave, I have covered that issue also. I have just a small hose leading from the factory vent with a small diffuser in the end of it. It has a 40 micron filter on it which is about .0015" which should be enough to keep the crap out.

Rand

I changed my oil the other day, and it came out whish grey... had a slight gas smell!! my thinking is while chsing my tail with the oil puking its way up my long tube I blew a seal out... and had I vented the side cover chances are great I wouldn't have this issue... and if Im going to blow a seal I would rather replace the one behind the clutch than those crank seals, an easier fix...

Drain the oil into a container let it set over night see if the oil looks or smells different?

Both the seal behind the clutch and the seal for the right side of the crank case share the SAME SPACE they also BOTH run in the same balancer oil, they are only about 1.5" apart from each other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:19 am 

Here is the picture of the diffuser on the flywheel side of the Engine.

Rand

Attachments:
HPIM4727.JPG
HPIM4727.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 683 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 am 

Here is the new vent setup.

Dave you got me thinking it is a pain in the ass to grab a wrench to fit into the tight quarters so decided to put a little thumb hold on the lower fitting. It works great and no wrench!

Rand

Attachments:
HPIM4731.JPG
HPIM4731.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 683 times ]
HPIM4733.JPG
HPIM4733.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 683 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 am 

The upper part is held in place by the same fitting I used on the bottom for the thumb hold. It is just snug enough to hold the hose but still allows you to spin the whole assembly to remove the plug from the case. It's a bicycle reflector holder. The other nice thing is when you take the hose assembly loose it is held to the Ody by the top bracket. Even I can't loose it!

Rand

Attachments:
HPIM4730.JPG
HPIM4730.JPG [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 683 times ]
HPIM4734.JPG
HPIM4734.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 683 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5