Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:08 pm 

rarerat wrote:
I took the day off so I could put my 350 all back together. I got it all fired up & did a couple heat cycles and then took it for a short 1/4 throttle ride. I had filled the oil all the way up to the top fill mark & so far I don't see any hint of oil in the vent filter so I am really hoping my 5 dollar Home depot vent mod will be OK.

Do you all see anything that looks wrong with it & needs to be changed?

Thanks,
Nick

the filter may need to be turned around
you are filtering air going out

You know a 1/2 psi check valve my help it to burp instead letting it flow both ways just a thought
speed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm 

cvs1223 wrote:
is there any pictures online step by step on how to get at the balancer vent??

Look through this entire thread. There are pictures that will show you where the vent is located.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:07 pm 

i have the full pull start case off. is the vent hole behind the the sprocket that is exposed??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:52 pm 

cvs1223 wrote:
i have the full pull start case off. is the vent hole behind the the sprocket that is exposed??

Yes, here is the picture that was posted earlier.

Bob ::-: ::-:

Attachments:
350counterBbreather2%20copy.JPG
350counterBbreather2%20copy.JPG [ 62.62 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:59 pm 

THANK YOU right now my brain is one dimentional an all i can remember is seeing the sprocket when i took off my pull start this past weekend to get it repaired. what size machine screw is used to plug the hole??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
I took the day off so I could put my 350 all back together. I got it all fired up & did a couple heat cycles and then took it for a short 1/4 throttle ride. I had filled the oil all the way up to the top fill mark & so far I don't see any hint of oil in the vent filter so I am really hoping my 5 dollar Home depot vent mod will be OK.

Do you all see anything that looks wrong with it & needs to be changed?

Thanks,
Nick

the filter may need to be turned around
you are filtering air going out

You know a 1/2 psi check valve my help it to burp instead letting it flow both ways just a thought
speed

Thanks Speed, i will turn it around. I got all the crank seals changed today, and went out and rode it for about 20 minutes tonight and it did fill the filter with oil about 3/4's of the way up. I am not really familiar with the check valve, can you tell where to find one?

Thanks,
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:35 am 

Im wondering if the vent in the cap places the tube/hose in a direct line with the oil splashing off the gears and forcing the oil up so far???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:48 pm 

I don't think so Turbo, I believe Speed has a mod similar where he modifes the case by welding a block and a nipple in place just slightly above and in line with the stock dip stick and there is no issue. Well at least none that I have heard of.

It all has to do with the size of the line that is used to vent the case. If the line is too small it won't allow the oil to drain back into the case and the building pressure forces the oil up and out of the tube.

You either need to run the line with a filter in place or run the bellows like Randy's setup. I believe this is what I was running when you came out to Walker River. Like I posted, I tried a smaller tube with just the vent and had the same oil puking problem. The air has to have a place to escape when the pressure is building. With the filter in line it allows the air to escape past what little oil has been initially forced up the vent tube by the expanding air.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:02 pm 

speeds vents were just like Racerats on the side of the gears...
I will try the bigger tubing..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:59 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
speeds vents were just like Racerats on the side of the gears...
I will try the bigger tubing..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:08 am 

My apologies Speed!!! Who was it that had them on the side??? Randy maybe...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm 

Hey Speed, what sized nipple are you using for your case mod?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:42 pm 

Randman wrote:
Hey Speed, what sized nipple are you using for your case mod?

Rand

1/8" npt with a 1/4 hose barb

speed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:21 pm 

I was reading Randy's instructions dated 9/23-2003 for his vent modification. He has posted 2 different nipple installation location set ups. One modification is done the way that Speed's cases are modified (drilled from the top) and the other modification is done by drilling and tapping the side of the case. Note the comment bellow he has made for the modification where he has drilled the top of the case as in the picture below.
Attachment:
File comment: This is the top drilled vent Randy labels as 3B.
350 Counter Ballance Breather Top Drilled.JPG
350 Counter Ballance Breather Top Drilled.JPG [ 46.87 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

Randy states....

Quote:
4. Depending on where you locate the breather barb fitting you can end up with oil that comes out the end of the breather line, if you use the 3.B way, it is best to add a metal in line fuel filter about 6 to 8 inches up from the Engine for oil to gather at and to keep the oil from going on up the breather line.

So it is necessary to use the fuel filter in line if you are going to use the open vented type modification. I originally did not have the issue of oil traveling up the vent line because I used the sealed (expanding bellows) type modification.

If you are going to use the sealed bellows for the vent modification Randy States.....

Quote:
If you are going to use the rubber bladder for a sealed system leave the fuel filter off.

So there you have it from the expert Randy Bridgewater who originally designed the system.....when using a top or side mounted venting setup, a filter needs to be in place for the open vented system and no filter is required for the sealed bellows type system.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:26 pm 

so what do you guys think is a better system to use. sealed with bellows or unsealed with filter...

i noticed on my last quad rally that i went on, that alot of diffs on the quads use a bellow style vent system..just food for thought

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 am 

fully wrote:
so what do you guys think is a better system to use. sealed with bellows or unsealed with filter...

i noticed on my last quad rally that i went on, that alot of diffs on the quads use a bellow style vent system..just food for thought

It all depends on where you place the vent on the Ody. If the dip stick hole is used the ballancer gears throws oil across the vent hole and up the hose. With this setup, I would use the bellows system. If you vent the side of the case by tapping a hole and threading a fitting into it then you can run the filter with the end of the hose vented. Either way works but I prefer to have the system sealed to keep water and dirt out. I am running the dip stick vent so I am using the bellows system.

What brand of quads were you seeing the bellows vents on? I think the bellows I am using now is too stiff. I would like to see if they are more flexible then the one I am using.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:41 pm 

Randman wrote:

What brand of quads were you seeing the bellows vents on?

Rand

not sure what quad it was on. only reason i noticed is caused the guy rolled it and i help load it in the back of a truck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 am 

My wife has a 2004 Suzuki Vinson. I cannot get a pic right now as it is in storage, but it uses a bellows type breather on the diff.... http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/part ... uzuki.aspx" .".. ...if the link works, it is part number 67 in the diagram, SKU: 27491-38F00
CASE, BREATHER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:26 am 

In case I ever loose my dipstick here is the tape so I can use a zip tie!

Attachments:
File comment: 3 inches is the full mark! 3 3/8" is low!
IMG-20101209-00216.jpg
IMG-20101209-00216.jpg [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 1224 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:58 am 

That's a good handy in the field check if you loose the dip stick! If I read that tape right then 3" is the upper level mark. If you loose the stock one and are too cheap (like me) to buy a new one then you could just modify one of the Ford radiator petcocks by gluing a piece of rod into it and Bob's your Uncle!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm 

Lonerider wrote:
My wife has a 2004 Suzuki Vinson. I cannot get a pic right now as it is in storage, but it uses a bellows type breather on the diff.... http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/part ... uzuki.aspx" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".. ...if the link works, it is part number 67 in the diagram, SKU: 27491-38F00
CASE, BREATHER

Thanks Lonerider, I am wondering how pliable the rubber is. The one I am using is pretty stiff but so far it works well. Attached are pictures of the final modification I have done.

Rand

Attachments:
Vent plug in engine.JPG
Vent plug in engine.JPG [ 104.05 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]
Bellows and holder.JPG
Bellows and holder.JPG [ 111.46 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 pm 

Ok time to revisit this one so what is the perfered method of venting?

I need to vent a 350 case that is on my bench I have already installed a screw in the vent hole so it can no longer vent into the area where the flywheel is.

I am wondering if I can just drill a small hole down the top of the factory dip stick about .060 in diameter, go in about 1" from the top of the stick then drill one horizontally to connect to the hole drilled from the top, volume of exchange cant be that much?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:17 pm 

I am leary about plugging the hole on the other side or magneto side... IF your vent gets plugged up wont this create back pressure that will blow out a seal??? Randy shows his method is to plug the hole on the balancer gear side, so if there is blockage it wont cause an air leak in the seal behind the balancer gears...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:27 pm 

hoser wrote:
Ok time to revisit this one so what is the perfered method of venting?

I need to vent a 350 case that is on my bench I have already installed a screw in the vent hole so it can no longer vent into the area where the flywheel is.

I am wondering if I can just drill a small hole down the top of the factory dip stick about .060 in diameter, go in about 1" from the top of the stick then drill one horizontally to connect to the hole drilled from the top, volume of exchange cant be that much?

I thought the same thing too but from all of the information I have seen and from what I have experienced, oil gets pushed up through the vent tube. Unless these is an area for the expanding air to bypass the oil (such as a large filter) traveling up the hose, the expanding air pushes the oil up and out of the top of the hose.

The other thing I have discovered is that the smaller the hose the more likely that the oil will travel up and out of the hose. A large hose with a bellows seems to work best.

I have converted both of my Ody's to the expanding bellows and they are working well so far.

Dave (Turbo) had an issue with the ease of removing the tube for oil level inspection and I have solved that problem also. I will post some detailed pictures of the latest revision when I get home tonight.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:36 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I am leary about plugging the hole on the other side or magneto side... IF your vent gets plugged up wont this create back pressure that will blow out a seal??? Randy shows his method is to plug the hole on the balancer gear side, so if there is blockage it wont cause an air leak in the seal behind the balancer gears...

Dave, I have covered that issue also. I have just a small hose leading from the factory vent with a small diffuser in the end of it. It has a 40 micron filter on it which is about .0015" which should be enough to keep the crap out.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next