Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:36 am 
Hello All.

Have any of you been successful at street legalizing an Odyssey or Pilot? I will be purchasing one in the near future but wanted to know first if there are any laws that may keep me from being able to plate this vehicle.

thanks for any help.

casey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:59 am 

Dunno where you live but the Pilot would never pass inspection here in illinois how ever
other states like MO will tag anything hehe.

For some reason I can picture a 16 year old female talking on her cell phone while
putting on make up running over a Pilot because "I didnt see him" good luck!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:51 am 

I looked into setting up my Pilot here in Michigan to make it street legal. The biggest problem is that the requirements are stricter when it has 4 wheels instead of 2. The Pilot already met a few of the requirements, high/low headlights, brake light, mirrors, reverse light. A couple of things I needed to add were blinkers, windshield and a winshield wiper (LOL). The item that made me give up the idea was spending the money for D.O.T. approved tires. I thought it would be cool to jump in the Pilot and run down to the corner store for a gallon of milk. :-) Talk about turning a few heads! :shock:

Zoomer

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: thanks...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:05 am 
i agree on the "not seeing the little pilot" on the street... but i deal with that everyday on my motorcycle. at least now i would have a roll cage and belt! :)

I'm in Indiana... and have seen street legal Kawasaki Mules and polaris ATVs... but that's been awhile and they were used near farms (yep, we have a lot of farms in these parts). Hmmm. the tires would be a hitch. It would probably depend on the mood that the sheriff was in the day he inspects huh? Thanks for your replies... we'll see how it goes. Hopefully i will be able to pick one up in the next few months.

casey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:13 am 

Were they truly street legal? I know here in Colorado, you can simply put an orange triangle on the back of whatever (I've seen motorcylces, quads, obviously tractors, etc) and ride it down the road because you use it as a "farm" vechicle.

Side note to that: You can't register that as an off road vehicle and also use it as a farm vehicle. So, you could ride it to town, but couldn't take it to any of the riding areas and ride. Goofy, huh? At least that's the deal in Colorado.

I do remember reading where somebody had made an Odyssey street legal somewhere, seems it was Wyoming, Montana, or one of the Dakotas or something like that.

Post subject: street legal
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:25 am 
i pretty sure they were street legal. one polaris i called about in a classified ad... the guy said he used it to ride to work (NAPA part store) and it had turn sigs, mirrors horn etc... i didn't ask about tires.

the mule i knew of also had turn signals and a plate but i believe his said "farm" on the plate.

i didn't think of the snag on not taking a street vehicle "off road" in some areas. this will be interesting.

my idea is to build this .. but if its too difficult and expensive, i'm getting back into street supermotos... i've been successful in doing that anyway. stinking laws, sheesh. :shock:

casey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:41 pm 
You would have to get rid of one axel. You cant run a Detroit locker rearend on the street. Every time you corner one wheel spins faster than the other. With the soild axel they spin the same rpm. This makes you "bounce" on every corner and tears up your trans.
Just a thought :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:09 pm 

I quit driving street bikes back in the 80's because people cant drive this was
before cell phones, laptops, DVD players that now add to distract a driver, a better
example is 39,000 people died in car accidents in the USA 2002, this does not include
people that were just injured in accidents.

I would NEVER feel SAFE in a Pilot just because it has a roll bar, the cage on a Pilot
will fold up like a lawn chair or be like you stepping on a aluminum can when put
up against a 3000 pound car going 25 mph, don't let the Pilot or Odyssey cage
strength fool you because the strength is NOT there, at least the strength your thinking of....

Where is Lee when you need him hehe.

don't miss understand me do what you want, how ever I feel the need to ensure you
know it will be no more safer than riding a bike, heck riding a bike might even be
safer than a Pilot or Odyssey simply because your not going to be tied to it when
things go bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:12 pm 

Where is Lee when you need him hehe.

Lee’s smart, he’s not going to touch this with a ten foot pole from his work computer. As Hoser says the FL cage will not protect you on the street. There is very little protection from a car especially in a side impact.

Even with street tires the suspension will not like driving on pavement. The car will push heavily because of the solid rear axle and the front suspension geometry (ATV’s are designed for rounded ATV tires. This is a major bonus for ATV suspension designers as they don’t have to worry about keeping the tire vertical as much as auto suspension designers).

Also in Ohio it is my understanding that the Engine in a dune buggy needs to meet the smog requirements of the year it was manufactured. For a ’67 VW Engine this is no big deal. Good luck getting a 2-stroke to pass a smog test.

Apart from all this a VW engined dune buggy is easier to register and could be cheaper. Just a thought.