Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Throttle options?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 am 

Hi,
This is my first time here. I've decided to bu a Pilot, and I have a question.
Is there some sort of alternate throttle system, other than using your thumb?
In the past, having ATCs, Quads, etc, I always changed the thumb throttle to a twist throttle because my thumb cramped.
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Throttle options?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:21 am 

Welcome to the board RDR!

I myself have also had the issue with my thumb cramping while riding a quad with a thumb throttle. I changed both my Quadracer and 400Ex to twist throttle setups because of thumb cramp.

I don't think you will have the same issue with the Pilot. This is either because of the angle that you hold the steering wheel or the fact that you don't have to hold the wheel as tight as a pair of handlebars, I think you will be pleasantly surprised that your thumb will not cramp up at all and will not need to change over to a foot operated throttle setup! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm 

Quoting myself from 198???? before corporal punishment was outlawed. This was directed at my middle school principal who was missing a thumb. "THUMBS UP MR SMITH". OUCH that paddling still hurts!! Myself I get thumb fatigued after a romp in the trails on my Pilot. Check out this link if your digit get tired!! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6924&p=60180&hilit=thumb+throttle#p60180

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:31 pm 

I just changed my 3wheeler to twist throttle because my thumb was killing me.Ive never had a problem with my thumb bothering me in the odyssey.Why did they start putting thumb throttles on everything,is it some sort of safety factor?I hate them,wish i had a twist throttle on my jetski also cause my thumb craps out on it also

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:29 pm 

redskinman wrote:
I just changed my 3wheeler to twist throttle because my thumb was killing me.Ive never had a problem with my thumb bothering me in the odyssey.Why did they start putting thumb throttles on everything,is it some sort of safety factor?I hate them,wish i had a twist throttle on my jetski also cause my thumb craps out on it also

My guess is why they changed over to thumb throttles on the quads is because you have to use a lot more "body english" to ride a quad than a motorcycle. It's a lot easier to operate the throttle with a thumb pad than a twist when you are hanging off the side of a quad due to an off camber situation.

Another issue is the amount of steering you have to use on a bike v/s a quad. A bike can be turned sharply by leaning the bike over and using a small amount of handlebar turning. All of a quads turning is done by turning the handlebars only. Try turning the handlebar on a quad to a full right turn and note your hand position.....it tends to make you let off the throttle.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 pm 

Thanks so much for all the input. And I'll check out that link too. I hope you all are right that the thumb cramping is not an issue!
I actually had ATCs years ago, and had a twist throttle on every one of them. I thought an ATC was much easier to steer than a quad, which after riding an ATC for year, felt like steering a tank.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm 

I am old and have arhritis and the thumb throttle don't hurt as much as typing this...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I am old and have arhritis and the thumb throttle don't hurt as much as typing this...

I second this!!! Geritol anyone?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 pm 

OMG you mean I'm hanging out with a bunch of OLD GUYS on this site! LOL :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 am 

Randman wrote:
OMG you mean I'm hanging out with a bunch of OLD GUYS on this site! LOL :-)

Rand

Noooo a bunch of OLD guy's are letting you hang out with us... :-)

Profile E-mail