Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:02 pm 

Just got back from Little Sahara last nite.

Monday and Tuesday, the wind blew bigtime, so the sand got good quickly after the weekend ruts. Wednesday to Friday, it was hot as hell, so mid-day was spent looking for shade and cool places to hide out. As I left there about 10 Am Friday, it was showing as 96 degrees, and going up fast. We had the whole place to ourselves for four days, then on Thursday nite, a whole lot more riders started showing up. I don't know for sure, but it seemed like there was a 100 or more that showed overnite.

Few problems, and only one minor crash when Fed went off the top of a very small dune first day and broke a tie rod. Later though, he broke an axle and ruined his works shock on that side, so it was a tough trip for him.

Litespeed is fast as ever, but had a minor reed cage problem on the Pilot, so he only had the Drakart to ride. Nobody was feeling sorry for him though, as he would regularly kick ass on anything that moved and made the mistake of being in front of him. On the last afternoon, he took out a couple of CV boots, Nuke 'em got a quick lesson on fixing them, and will likely be using his newly acquired skills on building a highly modded and stretched FL350.

Dennis, as usual, showed up with a $10,000 Pilot on a $10 trailer, I have to kid him about that anytime I see him. Actually, all of his stuff looks and runs perfect. Only problem he had was an odd looking spark plug on the last night. Oh, and he didn't come home till about 3 AM on the last nite, and being the "fatherly" type, I couldn't sleep right till he got "home", so the bags under my eyes are his fault. Yeah right, didn't have anything thing to do with the 100 new riders that came in and had to exercise their machines all nite till they broke them.

The first day, Nuke 'em was loosing compression rapidly, and it was looking like his machine was about done for, but he took off a 'dial-a-jet' that was leaking and looked like it was getting sand into the Engine. After that, his compression didn't improve, but it didn't get any worse, so he was able to ride all week.

Big Tom's stuff ran perfectly, and by the way, if he finishes the diet he is on, we may have to start calling him Tiny Tom.

Old man Ody showed up mid week, thanks to being "hoserized", his 250 ran like a top. Out on the dunes, it looks like a pogo stick on wheels, so he is always looking for smooth sand, and got a lot of it this trip.

I have always had an overheating problem with the Drakart in warm weather and extended runs. Turns out that the fan was not running when the Engine was running. Big Tom made a fix for it by wiring the fan directly to the battery, so now the temp sensor on the radiator makes the fan run whether the key is on or off. It helped a great deal, but I still need a larger radiator for the turbo set-up, as it makes a lot more heat than stock.

I took my new rig for the first time. Nuke 'em and Fed slept in the back, I had originally named it the bunkhouse, but after they kept the air running for 5 days, we started calling it the ice house. Litespeed installed the TV, so one afternoon, we all watched a couple of movies while it was too hot to ride. Down deep, I knew that getting this thing in black was a mistake, should have gotten white, cooler and cleaner, but not as sharp looking.

I want to thank all of those who helped me out with one thing or another, big or small, without all the friendships, these trips wouldn't be worth bothering with.

I didn't get my camera out much, actually left it in the truck, so only photos I have are shot from the truck, but they are below if anyone wants to see them.

Attachments:
File comment: Just outside of Alva, I got behind someone's new house, 5 to 15 mph for about 15 miles.
Moving OK style.jpg
Moving OK style.jpg [ 71.29 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
File comment: Only a small part of a typical Kansas rest stop, they are several times as big as shown, and well maintained.
Kansas rest stop.jpg
Kansas rest stop.jpg [ 157.17 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
File comment: Oklahoma rest stop, table, trash can, no bathrooms, don't know what the mailbox is for, maybe someone lives there?
Oklahoma rest stop.jpg
Oklahoma rest stop.jpg [ 123.28 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
File comment: Due to loss of detail, this may be hard to see.
closer yet.jpg
closer yet.jpg [ 75.79 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
File comment: That sand was flying a long way!
close up windy dune.jpg
close up windy dune.jpg [ 78.87 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
File comment: Coming back to camp, Big Tom and I saw the sand blowing off a big dune.
windy dune.jpg
windy dune.jpg [ 115.09 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:03 pm 

I guess the wind was blowing hard, don't think I have seen it blow over the dunes quite that
far when I have been there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:55 pm 

I have seen what seemed like stronger winds before, it might be the combination of wind and very dry sand that made it blow so far.

Post subject: Back from LS
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:36 am 

In all fairness to my trailer - I rewired it before this trip so it is now at least a $11 trailer :-)

As usual I had a great time... Sand was a little choppy the first ride but the wind picked up and we were spoiled for the next couple of days as it was smooth as glass... Something kinda cool about blasting the first set of tracks everywhere you go...

It was great seeing some old friends Drakman, LiteSpeed, Big Tom, OldManOdy, and meeting a couple of fellow P-Oers NukeEm and Fed for the first time...

Super great bunch of guys...

We had quite the mix of machines 2 Draks, 2 LT Pilots, 2 Stock Pilots, 2 FL350s, 1 FL250, and 2 Quads...

We should have some killer pictures shortly - I took around 40 or so and I know NukeEm shot some video if he can get the tape back out of his hungry camera...

I also want to thank everyone for making this trip so much fun...
Specal thanks to Drakman for providing the awsome sleeping/cooling off facilities...
and to NukeEm and Fed for making some awsome meals...

PS
Secret Squirl Tip (used without permission)
Give LiteSpeed a couple of beers and sit back and prepare to laugh your tail off...

PSS
I managed to keep my machines right side up the whole trip this time - I'll try harder next time.

Picts from me to follow in a day or two...

Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: ls ride
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:53 am 

My wife and I came down friday morning (20) to meet and ride, however we mised you, bummer sounds like you had fun. We went down that previous saturday and it was in the 70's and smooth and no wind. Please post when you plan a trip this way again and I will take off work (wife lives the life of luxery,dosent work)earier in the week. My friends came down with there two pilots and rode as well. We had to replace one of there cylinders ( ring caught the port ,OUCH! )with one one of my spare Ported 82mm bores. With his milled head it put out 182 psi, no way down there to rework squish band. However did have stock head on hand. It ran the rest of the week end. WE 2.5 hr away from LS in Kansas, so we can get there pretty quick. WE had no crashes but did bend a lower A arm and tie rod. Not bad got out pipe bender ( 1" imc electrictral and 1/2" imc)and straightened right up. I be looking for a set of aftermarket, what to do, replace stock or go for the long travle? No mater what it will cost me. I could sell my shocks to my friends that hated it when I walked away from them in the rough stuff. Any way hope to see you in the fall, It time to go to the lake with the jet ski's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:50 pm 

Protech,

Sorry we missed you. I don't think anyone knew you were coming. By thursday nite, the place was filling up with, especially with big sand rails. Most of us were heat beat and worn out from all the fun, so we just packed up and headed home.

Yeah, since it will only get hotter, I don't think I will back untill the fall.

BTW, Most of us normally avoid the weekends and go during the week when we pretty much have the place to ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:45 pm 

I just wanted thank everyone for thier info and help and to give Jerry a special thanks for allowing us to live in the rear of his new camper. We saved quite a bit from having to drag another truck and camper 11 hrs. I had a great time meeting and riding with everyone. Did you find any butter for your brauts Tom? :shock: Can't wait til next time!

Post subject: hey nuke um
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:55 pm 

if was great meeting you and fed hope to see you in the fall - maybe 2 trips in fall????

If you can please look and see if you have another 32mm carb :)

Curtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:23 pm 

Glad Tom shared his bratwurst story with you. I never knew he was into that kind of thing until he had a few beers in him and he told us all about it! :)

Why do you think he is always "out front"

Just kidding tom. He is one guy that never seems to run out of a story or a joke to tell.

Profile E-mail