Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The BIG Western Ride
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:58 pm 

OK, Everyone is sitting on the fence on this one, so here are my thoughts.

Western Nebraska Sand Hills, April 28 to 30. Off I-80 western part of state

Wyoming dunes near Rock Springs, May 1 to 3. Off I-80 western part of state.

Little Sahara in Utah, May 4 to 7. Off I-15 north-central part of state.

Coral Pink dunes, Utah, May 8 to 11. Off I-15 south central part of state.

White Wash in Utah, May 12 and 13. Off I-70 eastern part of state.

A person coming from mid-west could make a big loop of it, or catch the latter stages by coming out I-70. West bound on 80 is pretty straight, and the climb to the higher altitudes is VERY gradual. I-15 is some mountains, but even I didn't find them difficult. The return on I-70 is the most challenging, however, you are already at pretty high altitudes from western Wyoming to mid-way in Colorado on the return. Heck, you might even be able to coast half way back to the mid-west.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:30 am 

Here is the way I see it....

There are three must see places that are fairly close to each other

Rock Springs, WY – (Killpecker Sand Dunes – 11,500 acres)
(4.25 hours - 260 miles)
Jericho Junction, UT – (Little Sahara 60,000 acres)
(3.5 hours - 187 miles)
Green River, UT – (White Wash Sand Dunes 0,000 acres) Anyone know how big this is ?

Kanab, UT – (Coral Pink Sand Dunes 3,730 acres)
Would be nice but it is much smaller and it is isolated in the lower cental part of UT which would add another 5 hours each way
(The die-hards could swing down there after White Wash but I think I'll be duned out by then)

Those of us comming from the East (or any who wants to) could also hit
Halsey, NE – (Nebraska National Forest 141,59 acres) before continuing on to Killpecker

Halsey to Killpecker would be 10 hours - 630 miles
we could break up that long drive about half way with a stop at
Walden, CO – (North Sand Hills 700 acres) Anyone been there ? Worth stopping at ?

I haven't marked dates - I'm mostly flexible - Late May as long as we miss Memorial Day is great with me...
Someting like (May 13 - 24) or so

Any one else have any input ?????

Later
Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:21 am 

hey Dennis,

This idea seemed to be losing steam, but now maybe it will pick up.

North Sand hills in Colorado is just that, a few sand hills and some trails thru the trees and hills. You can ride the entire area in one trip. The trip here from I-80 is maybe an hour or so. Primitive camping, outhouse, no water or power.

I have never been to Rock Springs, but people tell me these are killer dunes, literally. This area is not far off I-80. I am not sure of what facitilities are at this area.

Little Sahara, Utah is a huge area, I have been there, but never ridden there. It looks like a lot of variety. Very nice camping areas, but outhouses only, no power or water hookups.

Coral Pink dunes, I have never been to this area, but I hear it is beautiful, not sure of the facilities.

White Wash dunes, this is really not dunes in the way that most of us think of dunes. It is a neat little place, visually this place is beautiful, but it is very small. For those of you coming out west on I-80, I don't know if I would say that this area is worth the detour thru the Rockies. Primitive camping, no facilities of any kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:51 pm 

Jerry, a small note about White Wash. We went over Easter and there were probably 70 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) homes/campers! We saw rangers, mostly checking registrations and they said they had never seen so many. Still, dunes weren't too packed.

We discovered that there are many trails heading all over everywhere, it's not just the dunes that attract all those riders.

On a side note ... we got in over 12 hours of riding, 350s and 250s ran like clocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:01 pm 

Being out of state what do I need to bring in the way of registration to show them?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:35 pm 

Re: registration, In all the BLM areas I have been, they honor your home state registration. In Colorado, we have a pair of stickers and a pocket card. I would think most anything that demonstrates registration with your home state would suffice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:54 pm 

I have nothing in the way of registration or stickers, no titles, just hand written
receipts from the sellers I bought my Pilots from, anything I bought new I have
a title for.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:56 pm 

Same thing here in Nebraska - We have no registration or titles unless we purchase a new ATV.

Does anyone know what we need - I really do NOT want to Title my machines - That is just another stupid way my state can access additional fees with zero return for my $.

Oops - How did "Rant" get turned on - Sorry about that...

Lets Ride
Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:49 pm 

I had a nice little chat with a Ranger in Utah. Yes, they will honor any other state's "registration" whatever that may be (this is currently unless you will be in state over 14 days ... more later on this).
If you don't have registration in another state, you have to register it with Utah.
Starting July 1, you must register with Utah unless your state has a recripical (sp) agreement with Utah. Jerry, Colorado DOES have the agreement, so we will be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:39 pm 

So what does "Register with Utah" actually mean ?

Trip to the court house ?
Fees ?
Paperwork ?

PS
Nebraska doesn't seem to think ATV's are used for anything outside of Ag use ?

Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:46 pm 

Registration in Colorado is pretty simple.

You fill out a form declaring that you are the owner, fill in the make, vin number and a few details. I have never been asked for proof of ownership. The only thing you get when you buy a new one here is the MSO, and a bill of sale. On most used ones, you are lucky to have a bill of sale, and I am sure many people don't even have that.

Cost is $15.25 per year for an atv or dirt bike that doesn't require a license plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:27 pm 

Ditto what Jerry said. All they want is VIN and Engine size for the most part in Colorado.

As for Utah, I don't know what would be involved. But, below is a link that should enable you to find out more info:

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/registering.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:09 am 

Wyoming honors other states ORV stickers, also you can register here for $15 too. I have some room to put up someone passing thru Cheyenne, Wy and have a small 1/2 mile mostly flat track. I plan on making some of the trips ie.Walden, Rock Springs and maybe Utah. Still haven't figured out how to post video clips from my camcorder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:24 pm 

how often do ya'll do this???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:28 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
how often do ya'll do this???

Last year we went two times once in the spring once in the fall I don't think were going to make it this fall? I seen pics of it snowing at killpecker already on the dune review board.

Looks like a fall trip to Little Sahara OK will happen? its located near Waynoka OK

1st week in June seems to be good weather for BIG West ride I will be there next June for sure!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 pm 

I look forward to the oct Little sahara, I drove by a few weeks ago w/ the big truck, anfd I think I can get parked!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:51 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
I look forward to the oct Little sahara, I drove by a few weeks ago w/ the big truck, anfd I think I can get parked!!!

Little Sahara in OK ?

You can park a semi their I am sure if you get their when the place is not full up, if all else fails you can drop off your ATV's and go drop the trailer some place I bet Donnie would let you drop it behind his restaurant if you asked real nice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:04 am 

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Little Sahara in OK ?

You can park a semi their I am sure if you get their when the place is not full up, if all else fails you can drop off your ATV's and go drop the trailer some place I bet Donnie would let you drop it behind his restaurant if you asked real nice.

Yea the place that sells tires and gas there said I could park there, or if I got there during the week, I could get it backed into the road to the left as you enter the park and go right to campsites...I had it in some wet sand in clinton TX the other day and she did real good with the stryker tires, but didn't make it up a big climb... so I am going to swap the paddles next time...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 am 

I don't know how big a rig you are talking about, but, the spot you are talking about is the arm pit of the whole place, just big dusty parking spots on the top of the hill. I don't know what they get for camping there, but at the state campgrounds I don't think it is over $20 for a site with water and power.

When this group goes, generally we go to the north campground, although since it was really crowded last time, we went to 'cowboy' campground. One of the guys I have gone with a couple of times has a full size semi with a trailer that is probably over 50' long, around 70' or so total. He can get it into both of these campgrounds, although there are more spaces at cowboy that he can fit into. My old rigs were both around 60' long, and I had no problem getting into either of the north area campgrounds. The main or south campground is more designed for tents or smaller rigs and there are only a few places you could park a semi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:42 pm 

It's a 379 peterbilt 70 foot long with a stepdeck trailer... Ody sits on the top deck until I am empty, then I go play... kinda helps kill the time between loads!!!!
I am going to CA and unload on friday, in LA area will drift around till I find a good riding spot...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:57 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
It's a 379 peterbilt 70 foot long with a stepdeck trailer... Ody sits on the top deck until I am empty, then I go play... kinda helps kill the time between loads!!!!
I am going to CA and unload on friday, in LA area will drift around till I find a good riding spot...

We have two new Drakarts being built out in Lake Elsinore, supposed to pick them up early October and test run them at Glamis, when are you going to be in the area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:38 am 

This weekend, but I go back and forth all the time!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:50 pm 

Hmm.....maybe we can catch up out there, and if not there, maybe at Oklahoma.

What part of Texas are you located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18 pm 

Drakman wrote:
Hmm.....maybe we can catch up out there, and if not there, maybe at Oklahoma.

What part of Texas are you located?

look to the left, in my avatar....
Monday I leave LA to KC Thru denver tuesday pm/ weds am

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:27 pm 

Hey TurboTex...I know your area....I fly over it almost every day. Just a few miles SE of Randolph AFB, right?

Profile E-mail