Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 pm 

Ok whos in?? Time to scratch the itch. Were planning on arriving on May 5th Saturday afternoon and staying through Tuesday. Looks like we have EZPilot and Adnoh and wife and myself and wife so far. Anyone else?? Post here so we can save you a spot at the camping ground.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 pm 

I'm leaving this saturday for vegas to pick up that pilot, if all goes well. But I'll find a way to make this trip to, gonna b an expensive two weeks. Need to get into work tomorrow and check the schedule and I'll let you know for sure. I got a guy who has a 20' trailer and I think I can use it to haul both of em. I'll post up here and let you know for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 pm 

That would be fun. I might be in, need to check the schedule.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:53 pm 

ez71pilot wrote:
I'm leaving this saturday for vegas to pick up that pilot, if all goes well. But I'll find a way to make this trip to, gonna b an expensive two weeks. Need to get into work tomorrow and check the schedule and I'll let you know for sure. I got a guy who has a 20' trailer and I think I can use it to haul both of em. I'll post up here and let you know for sure.

We can schedule for another day if this wont work. Sorry I planned this so soon , I just wanted to try to get in a couple trips before the sand starts to melt this summer. Let me know for sure and Ill make the reservations at Deuces Wild Campground.

UTOdyssey stay tuned for a change...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 pm 

(UT)Odyssey wrote:
That would be fun. I might be in, need to check the schedule.

I wanted to give you a heads up that this trip is planned for Little Sahara in Oklahoma. Your more than welcome to come though!!

And the date is still as planned

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:25 pm 

I took the days off today, gonna try to meet up with Rich on Friday and get the pilot back together. If Rich is up for it we might test some cold ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:39 pm 

ez71pilot wrote:
I took the days off today, gonna try to meet up with Rich on Friday and get the pilot back together. If Rich is up for it we might test some cold ones.

Very cool Im stoked for another ride. i need to get a few cosmetics and jetting on the "new" pilot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 pm 

These dates are confirmed, May 5th thru 8th, and reservations have been made however I can make reservations for anyone else who wants to come....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:27 pm 

ya should have gone to Albuquerque to race with us instead!
I need to get to little sahara sometime!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 am 

loading up today to head out in the morning for LS-OK. Turbo be safe and have some fun racing hope you do well.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:49 pm 

Im heading out now. Ill be there about 830 tonight. Rock on!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 pm 

Well had a great day at the dunes. EZ-71 stoped by the day proir to riding to do some wrenching on his pilot. That was a fun day did some wrenching and had some cold ones on a hot and humid day. Which afterwards broke out the barbacue and had some fine eats. Up in the I finished loading and away we went to hook up with Stix and Mrs. Stix. The trip started off wierd as we were leaving town a bycycle rider would not share the road and I was thinking to myself a little early to be a road hog when there was a perficly good shoulder for him to safly peddle with out being a D _ _ K. Mrs. Adnoh had her usally responce " send hm to the hospital", Good thing I was driving. She must have already had her dune mind set going. I told here it would just delay us getting there. So when trafic cleared we got around the not very smat man. All from there was going well drinking coffee acrusing down the highway and laughing at we went. When we turned onn highway 11 to head to Alva we seen the left over from a tornado that took about a 2 mile swath and did about ten miles of damage along the highway. We had to watch out for debris and workers repairing the lines. After we got past that and about ten miles form Alva I noticed a man walking down the shoulder torwads us, no big deal traffic clear so I just moved over into the other lane to give space. As I approched Him he stepped right out into the road and crossed over into the other lane to wich I was travling staring me down. HOlY Sh_ _, break and swerve back into my lane as he continued to the other lanes shoulder. Man that dude about died that day. Ez-71 was behind me and told me later that man had a death wish and it appereaded he did it on purpose and thought for sure he was a dead man. The wife and I just looked at each other and said that was close and then She popped off a Dark Cloud EZ-71 comment ( inside joke) and how it was his fault. She than stated he can no longer follws us down as we laughed it off. See, first the bike rider and now a person walking. What next? I do know there was a full moon the night before so there may be something to it. Anyway back to the trip down. shortlly after a couple miles from Alva as we crested a hill there was an old buddy of mine. Yep an Oklahoma Highway Patrol with his lights on and ready to pulll a u-turn. First thought was great now what then wait a minute I,m not speeding I was oly doing 72/73 in a 65. He jumped out behind EZ and as he pulled over he blew past him approachin me at an alarming rate. Great it must be me. So I pulled over and he just blew by still accerlating at a great rate. Man them cars can run. He ended up getting a truck that was a 1/2 mile ahead of me. Finally a break. The officer did not to pull out in front of me and EZ and waited for us to go by, Thank goodness or the Officer may have just gotten it since there the three time a charme rule. I knew from threre we should be golden. Not so fast. As we approched the pulled over officer and truck the traffice was clear the opposate way so I slowed down a touch and moved over and then the officer opened his door and flew out of the car just as I got up to them. Dam I thought I would have creamed him if I was not paying attention. By this time the wife was sure EZ had something to do with. Yes we had another laugh at his expense. I'm sure his ears were burning a touch and no we were not having cold ones that early. Well that was the end of the early morning fun as we made it to Wanoka with out an rut ru. Ez commented that he thought for sure the guy was toast and road kill and the bike rider was an idiot and wondered for a second why te officer was coming after me since we we not speeding. We di share the dark cloud laugher the wife and I had at his expense and Yes I know pay back a bitch which I got what was coming to me later that day. It had to do with a comment I made about a "date with a big black pole" he and stix about hit the ground and told me that was too much informatin and they did not want to hear any more. Holy crap I got it just to late to save myself and now the inside joke on me. I need to expalin my self here before other get and strange ideas. But first go ahead laugh you A _ _ off. On our last rip down night ridding which is posted I had ran into a black out of bounds pole which the sand had taken it over with he exception of about 12 to 14 inches which I taged with my a-arm. No I didn't, yeas I did stated 12" to 14", I did it again. Oh well joke on me and there never gona forget it. At thia point I just had to take it. Now EZ is on the ground laughing so hard he cant breath.

As far as ridding goes( time to change the subject) all went well. It was hot and very humid. Every one jetitng was rich way rich. Stix and I was fat ( rich) in the neddle and EZ was fat( rich) on top which he was from the last trip as well so is was closer than ours. The wifes was fine all around as was Mrs. stixs pilot. Since stixs Engine was a fresh rebuild he decided to leave it. I oped for the first two rides to leave it as well since the wheather was support to change and dry out and drop in temp through out the day it it will come to me. On my fist ride it was defently stumbling off the bottom or hesitate a touch. The temp on the sand was 107 and the humity was very high. By mid day it was drying out or humity was droping and the hesitation was improving, the rpms and speed was rising as it dried out and the Engine temp where getting up were they needed to be. The first ride max speed was 53.7 and max rpm of 7850. The second ride was max speed of 54.9 and max rpm of 8100. For the final ride I opped to drop the needle one notch to clean it out because I just could not stand it any more. The Engine temp came up and it woke up off the bottom and it was game on for fun. The max speed ws 60.9 at 8350 max rpm(see pics). We, Stix Ez and I had notice that my fuel light tends to come before any one elses. So we made sure to top off my tank for the next rides to be sure the 21 miles per tank was accurate. The average of ride time to fuel light and back to camp was right around 21 miles according to the trip function. The first tip the fuel lines in the were exposed before filling and the second and third was just above the lines so the info is some what accurate with in 1/2 gallons or so. and I was filling it 3.5 to 4 gallons on each trip. Stix new Engine also has his fuel light come on around the same time so I, think the porting on his and my Engine are pretty close to one another and may be the common domanator as Stixs wifes and my wifes adn EZ pilot do not have there lights on. The thing is Ez has stock carb at 170 main, torgue pipe and speed head with stcok porting using an alt with limiter on the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), Stixs new engien has a hacker cylinder and stock head withhacker mod, stock carb at 158 with pipe and stock clutch. while mine is all hacked up with HRD and a 195 on the 39mm carb. Info on bikes for information purposes related to fuel usage. Since we rode three different rounds with different speeds and rpms adn yet the usage was close to the same as far as milege went. However the time spent on the sand was less as speeds and rpm went up
We can some what conclude that the average mpg of a moded pilot with porting is around 5-1/2 to 6 miles mile per gallon So for staging purposes of a race trip evrey 25 miles would be a good idea unless in stock trim.

I would like to also mention that one should have there fuel selection switch to reserve when riddng so it does not go lean on you as you appoache the fuel light range limit. I would sure hate to see what it will do when it goes lean at 8300 rpm for the short moment. FYI from the camp to the gate was 1.2 miles of woops and that's kinda sucks.

There was no rut rus to mention and all went well and had a blast.Thank you, Stix, EZ and Mrs. stix for the great time.

Attachments:
Resize of IMGP8699.JPG
Resize of IMGP8699.JPG [ 79.49 KiB | Viewed 1058 times ]
Resize of IMGP8698.JPG
Resize of IMGP8698.JPG [ 68.01 KiB | Viewed 1057 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:59 pm 

Nice write up thanks for that, 107 degrees haha glad I didnt go I would be shopping at walmart in Alva or some place cool all day maybe ride at night, I hate the heat.

You have any other trip pics, machine pictures, dune pics, camp pics?

What are you doing for clutching I never could get my Pilot to up shift fast enough making power over 8000 RPM so took it back down to 7600 RPMs, the only Pilots that were ever close to mine were the full race ported CR500 modified Pilots since we ran neck and neck I never pursued clutching my Pilot over 8000 RPM, sure sounded good but drank the gas lol.

I had that one cylinder/head combo setup to run 8600 RPM (secret squirrel kit for racing) but never got to run it over 8100 because of clutching, bet it would smoke them $3800.00 ATV Racing want to be 72 HP engines lmao.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 pm 

The next day...Well Adnoh summed up the first day ( Sunday) so Ill finish out the ride report. As the saying goes "if you don't like the weather in "insert state" just wait a minute. Weather turned excellent for riding. Woke up at 7:30 monday morning, had a Monster coffee and hit the dunes bout 10 am. I bought my wife a pair of AMS Aerospeed 10 paddle 22X10X11 tires cause she was always getting stuck and burying the tires. These tires were excellent, they allowed her to pull her Pilot out of a buried rear tire uo to the frame with ease. They are discontinued but you can find them on the web. Weather was 65 degrees and never got over 75, winds were about 15 to 20 mph making the choppy sand like a cloud. . Had to change plugs and install air box cover to get plugs to a good color. Weather warming helped with fatness. I had a long, drawn out, boring write up for this ride but my kid closed out the browser before I got a chance to post so Ill give the readers digest version. We met up with some software engineer guys who had 3 polaris Sportsman 500 AWD quads. One of them was nice enough to let me take one for a long spin in the trails, bowls and choppy sand at the bottom of the bowls. It was a much better ride than my old Honda 400 EX. It was automatic and had one lever for front and rear brakes or you could used the rear brake pedal if you wish. I really liked the Honda Pilot like throttle with no gears to worry about. We wnet out for a night ride with the Polaris guys. I got to test me 35watt HID lights retrofitted into an old Halogen light fixture. The next day was excellent for riding as well. The winds had died and the sand was 75% untouched and we only saw maybe 8 quads and a VW sandrail the entire day. I love ridin when we get the dune to ourselves. Heres a little video of some dune trail and bowl riding..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 am 

"H" oh my 8600, sound like I need to keep hacking. I doubt I could ever reach that levle. Would be cool to try though. With parts getting hard to find may be not a good idea. I find my self at times already finding the limits of the suspenion. I'm getting older and may not be able to do much more as the body can't take it like it did. I be damed though to give it up, this machine is going to the grave with me. I just need to find some to part it out and put it in the box with me when I go or get a bigger box to place me in the machine and bury me in an unmarked grave go Mudd cant dig me up and get some parts.

Stixs, thanks for shooting and posting the ride video. You camera makes your bike almost sound like a four stoke. That was fun shooting the dunes since the trails were so rough from the weekend traffic. Yes, I do like the new rear tires you bought and they did preform well for Mrs. Stix. They had good traction and had no ill slow speed effects like a normal paddle. I would say nice score. I still can not get over EZ-71's ride. He is so into every aspect of it and the machine showes it. It runs well and looks great. I would put it right up there with the poca city pilots. He seam to get better with each ride. Thanks again for the cold ones as there were refreshing after the hot muggy rides. Plus I find it cool the way we can all look over ones machine and see what the other does not. It bring a great prespective to the table for preformace and improvments and down right bling and you know who gets the bling award. EZ has good strat to the fueling issue of over spill with his red funell trick and I say lets build on it. Never seen a guy so worried about a drop of fuel like that. I say good for him.

Would have been cool to see a five pilot train through the dune in the vids, maybe next time when the girls are out with us. I will be working on the new guy I met here in town with the pilot I talked about. Gotta get out to the house and take him for a ride to get him hooked up with us.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 am 

Thanks for the video Marc, just watched it and want to go back. Since things got messed up I feel like I wasn't even there. Getting things back to normal back here and hopefully my bad run is behind me. Rich, Thanks again for all your help and hospitality. I couldn't have got my pilot back together without you. Can't say Thank You enough, and please pass on to Toby. Yes, I am pretty anal when it comes to this thing, just PO'ed I messed it up. It was great seeing you guys and hope we can do it again soon.

Will probably be getting with you to get the right part numbers for my outer cv play to see if the stuff is still available.

Take Care E

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:41 pm 

I had a great time as usual, hope you got your stuff back on track E. Give me a call when you have time. Heres the rest of the video. For some reason my Flipshare software wont let me post a video over 10 minutes, however i can at Youboob??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:33 am 

Thanks again Stix for the video. I know it take some time to do so thankyou. EZ, your welcome and it was my pleasure to help with your pilot. I just love working on them and by the way I had more cold ones so I think you did the majority of the work. You did a good job loging the part in there bags and marking each which aided greatly reinstalling the parts. Glad to here thinks getting back to norm on the home front. Yes a fall ride indeed. It's a lot of fun to ride and hang out with you guys. Now that your back together that's one more day for you. Mrs. Adnoh also says your welcome and it was a pleassure having you.