Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:02 pm 

Below is a vid of an FL250 Engine I have with elsinor jug and head. The crank in this Engine is bent. The top end looks brand spanking new from looking in the ports. New piston and rings. Walls look like they have zero hours on them. PO told me it was a big bore kit done to it.

My question is with any luck is top end still good? I have other bottom ends that are perfect condition as well. So when this crank got bent could any damage be done to the piston that I should look for? Would it be dumb to switch out bottom end with new gasket kit? I never did an Engine and have no measuring tools. I having a manual and help from this site should I go forward or send it out?

I also have DG head I want to add the the elsinor jug. I will post pics of inside the DG head later in this thread.

My plans

Stock FL250 rebuilt bottom end
Elsinor jug and piston
DG head
DG national pipe
32 or 34 mm carb
Comet clutches
CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)

Here is the vid and some of the parts and project this Engine will be for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMjQECmd2Zc" .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

Attachments:
DSC07416.JPG
DSC07416.JPG [ 69.03 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
DSC08030.JPG
DSC08030.JPG [ 64.36 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
DSC08030.JPG
DSC08030.JPG [ 64.36 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
CIMG5063.JPG
CIMG5063.JPG [ 65.78 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm 

Pull the top end lets see what you have...

Compare the cases with stock cases they might have had to machine the cases to accept the bot bore sleeve you might have to repair that crank or replace it with another good one and keep those cases.

Kustom Kraft use to make a big bore kit, one was a 325cc the other was a 350cc the 350cc was the 325 cc kit with a stroker crank, his kits also had a spacer under the cylinder as it looks like yours does.

Before you take the Engine apart you might want to check the squish clearance then when you releasable check it again if a different crank is used.

If its a bog bore another head will need to be machined for that setup.

Take lots of pics please.

If that Engine was run before as assembled I would op to have the crank repaired by speedchaser then the pin welded, my guess is its twisted on the rod pin and not bent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 am 

Way to much for me to tackle. I will be sending these out to you Hoser soon. If you want the job that is.

Some more questions if you do not mind? What kind of power gain will I see with this elsinor jug and DG head over stock jug and head.

The main reason I ask is the Engine in the pics above is fresh rebuilt Engine. I could put the DG head on that and be done. For some reason I am thinking it's a huge power improvment but not sure if that's true. What do you know about this elsinor fl250 mod? And if it really is a big bore kit I know power would be much better. But what if it is just a bigger piston and not really a big bore kit?

I can send you these two engines. If we need more parts I have like ten fl250 engines for parts. Or would you recomend sending you the esinore Engine with bent crank and another good used running Engine? This letting me keep the new Engine in the pics above for another project? I was thinking about using that for it has fresh bottom end already. Might as well have you do it from top to bottom huh?

Edit: I also have two fl250 powerbloc clutches I want to send you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:07 am 

bighead wrote:
Way to much for me to tackle.

Its 4 bolts to take off the top end to take pics. Not that hard and we can see more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:52 am 

brandonsharksfan wrote:
bighead wrote:
Way to much for me to tackle.

Its 4 bolts to take off the top end to take pics. Not that hard and we can see more.

Okay will do. I thought I would have to do a bunch on measuring with calipers. When Hoser said Squish I was lost.

I will take the head off though for sure.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:35 am 

Squish is the clearance between the piston and the head when the piston is at top dead center.

Search the web or vintage motorcycle sites for info on the 70's Honda 250 cycle engines, the stock FL250 they used the MR250 top end the CR250 top end made more HP and torque I forget how much more but it was significant enough it was very noticeable by seat of the pants.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:16 pm 

hoser wrote:
Squish is the clearance between the piston and the head when the piston is at top dead center.

Search the web or vintage motorcycle sites for info on the 70's Honda 250 cycle engines, the stock FL250 they used the MR250 top end the CR250 top end made more HP and torque I forget how much more but it was significant enough it was very noticeable by seat of the pants.

I will research on how to check the squish and then take the heads off. My buddy next door can help me measure if needed.

If this is not a big bore kit could I go with my original plan and just swap bottom ends?

Also you posted above

"If that Engine was run before as assembled I would op to have the crank repaired by speedchaser then the pin welded, my guess is its twisted on the rod pin and not bent."

Yes I did start the Engine when I first got it home in the buggy. I saw it was bent like that and stop it right away. This Engine was in the car but the car also came with nice spare Engine that I used. My guess is the damage happend right away. If you look at the top end it is like brand new. You can still see the hone or machine marks on the cylinder. The PO who sold it to the guy I bought it from (could be more PO) said it was a big bore. Or I think that's what he was saying. He said when he had it was not rebuilt with new piston like it has now. So it was rebuilt and perhaps not done right and something happend right away with the crank. Or they rebuilt it and somthing came up into the belt with fresh motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).

Here is some CSI fron past owner. As you can see someone rebuilt it after he sold it.

hey this is Andy

Nice to see that odyssey shown some love. I used to own that back in 08 or around then. I loved it. Looks like you really went through it. I sold it for a steal of a deal to someone. I sure know it's the same one because I built that air filter set up with a napa filter and shop vac hose. Made the bracket it hangs from and all. I did a lot of work on that thing my self. When I had it I had to redo all the points because it shelled out and ran terrible. Thought at first it was a fuel issue but it ended up being that the points were bad. I know what you mean about a low center of gravity. That thing could whip nuts like crazy. On pavement too. So after all this time was the Engine bad? Is that why you redid the top end? Sure was really peppy having the big bore kit. I don't think i'd ever go back to a standard 250 odyssey. Did you put a new back axle? I remember when I got it that it was pretty bent but it still ran really good. kind of made a wump wump sound when running fast on pavement. I sure went through the starters too. The flanges on the mounting holes are way too weak.

Well thanks for bringing back some good memories. Would be awesome to hear back.

Can you tell me any work you did inside the original Engine? Looks to be brand new but somehow the crank got bent really bad. I also switched over to CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) and ditched the points as I do on all my ody's.

Hey. I honestly didn't do any work on the inside of an Engine. I had a guy I know do the points. I was running like crap and I tried everything. looked like it had good spark so I thought it wasn't an issue he pulled it apart and found out the points were bad. Crank was never bent when I had it. The fellow that I sold it to was from castle rock. His son actually bought it. They may have went through the Engine. I do have to say CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) seems like a way better set up. That elsinore is bored over too isn't it.? That's a big bore kit. That air filter set up I put on it was to replace the cone filter that was hanging off the carb like standard. It kept falling off from bouncing so I set it up nice and solid and kept it from getting wet in the mud and such. Used to actually be up by the back of the seat on the right side. It was too loud so I shortened it and made the bracket between the frame in the back.

So I what I am thinking is he does not really know if it is a big bore kit for sure. This weekend I will take the head off and go from there.

This is the car the Engine came in and what car the guy above is talking about. This is my wifes car. She liked the blue and has super safe feeling cage.

Attachments:
CIMG5183.JPG
CIMG5183.JPG [ 90.1 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
PB100962.JPG
PB100962.JPG [ 82.13 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
3nb3k73lb5Y15V35W3aam49d271841e94123b.jpg
3nb3k73lb5Y15V35W3aam49d271841e94123b.jpg [ 7.83 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
CIMG5189.JPG
CIMG5189.JPG [ 68.94 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
CIMG5195.JPG
CIMG5195.JPG [ 100.71 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
CIMG5190.JPG