Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 am 

liduno wrote:
TerryH wrote:
liduno wrote:
Ya but did you ever cut the seat bolts? lol

Those were actually pieces of all thread and yes, they are all in agreement now.
Wait till you get dirt on this thing, we're really gonna be hard on you then..lol What? You got dirt on the tires???????

If I start feeling good about the project or the work and effort I've put into it, I come here and post pics so I can rid myself of that feeling post haste. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:23 am 

Looking at your pics cures me of any pride in any of my past odysseys..lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:52 am 

Oh. I wondered how they mounted good to know

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:11 pm 

fully wrote:
Oh. I wondered how they mounted good to know

Actually a pretty ingenious method. Just take out the original bolt and put it in the other way. The nerf bars have a threaded bung welded on them that fits snugly in the hole in the chassis.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:21 pm 

Been working pretty hard on getting the trailer finished the last couple of weeks. I'm pronouncing phase 1 to be complete. I may revisit it at some point and insulate and finish off the ceiling and add some AC. Not sure but good enough for now.

LED 120v and 12v lights...

ImageIMG_8489 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

PVC Coin floor with aluminum trim and 6 - 6k lb recessed D rings...

ImageIMG_8715 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8678 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8673 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Load Locker spare mount and Versa Track wall storage system...

ImageIMG_8718 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Used some left over Delrin to make spacers for the rear gate bumpers. Should prevent the gate being damaged on rocky terrain or gravel.

ImageIMG_8722 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8726 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Now back to finishing the 350!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29 pm 

Trailer looks good Terry! Now we need a picture with an Odyssey strapped in the middle! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:10 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
Trailer looks good Terry! Now we need a picture with an Odyssey strapped in the middle! :-)

Thanks! I did push it in to make sure of the D ring locations before drilling 3.5" holes in my brand new trailer. :shock: :-)

So glad we went with the 16' trailer instead of a 14'. The 350 fits so nice.

ImageIMG_8688 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8689 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm 

Finished up "decorating" in the trailer. lol... Ordered up a few appropriate flags to cover up the stark white walls.

ImageIMG_8782 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8781 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8779 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 pm 

Well, we've had a not so fun time with the Engine recently. It refused to run. I pulled it out and found the crank key sheared. No clue how it happened but apparently there must have been a pre-existing existing crack or some type of defect. Couple of new ones on the way from Derek so should be running the first of the week.

ImageIMG_8760 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8762 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Another continuing issue has been the fuel pumps. The 3 pumps I have, 2 new Polaris clones and the original pump all do the same thing. 2.0 ounces in 10. I've changed pulse lines and clamps multiple times but nothing changes. As I posted previously I bought a electric pump from Quantum and I'm going to go with that. It pumps the perfect 4.5 oz in 10 seconds. I mounted it temporarily to see how it worked. Quite an interesting little pump. As the pressure comes up the pump actually slows down. It comes to a complete stop once the fuel bowl is full and the lines are pressurized. I pulled power from the same relay that is powering the water pump so it's on and off with the key.

I made a bracket and used a roll bar light mount that I had left over to mount it. The light bar mount worked out perfectly. There is no need for the check valve so I replumbed the lines without it. The pump runs for a few seconds and the slows to a stop. It does not overflow the carb. Obviously the real test is once we get the Engine running so I'll report back.

ImageIMG_8795 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8796 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8797 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8799 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 pm 

Wow after all that work to find that? That sucks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Wow after all that work to find that? That sucks!

It does but I’m honestly just glad we figured out the issue. Easy fix and move on. Absolutely no idea how it happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:06 pm 

Do you feel the nut was torqued to spec?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:08 pm 

Link to pump?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:08 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Do you feel the nut was torqued to spec?

Absolutely. I was careful to make sure of that when I removed the flywheel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:13 pm 

Garemie wrote:
Link to pump?

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35465651-quantum-electric-fuel-pump-for-honda-ps250-2005-2006-replaces-16710-ktb-013.html

I called and talked with a tech guy at Quantum before I bought it to make sure I was getting the correct one for this application and that it would be a good match.

From the manufacturer's web site...

The HFP-181 is a replacement external (frame mounted) fuel pump for carbureted motorcycle applications. This pump kit provides the exact pressure and volume as required by Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, and Yamaha motorcycle applications. For all other applications, please use the search bar at the upper left hand corner of the home page, or the drop down menus for year, make, and model. If you are still having trouble finding a pump to fit your bike, give us a call 10AM-5PM PST at 1-818-574-FUEL (3835).

Features & Benefits:

OEM or better performance

Polished corrosion-resistant case to help minimize seizing during non-operation

Specifically designed for quiet operation

Drop-in replacement

Gradient density fuel strainer for superior contaminant filtration

Patented check valve technology

Compatible with modern ethanol-infused pump gasoline

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:22 pm 

TerryH wrote:
Garemie wrote:
Link to pump?

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35465651-quantum-electric-fuel-pump-for-honda-ps250-2005-2006-replaces-16710-ktb-013.html

I called and talked with a tech guy at Quantum before I bought it to make sure I was getting the correct one for this application and that it would be a good match.

The HFP-181 is a replacement external (frame mounted) fuel pump for carbureted motorcycle applications. This pump kit provides the exact pressure and volume as required by Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, and Yamaha motorcycle applications. For all other applications, please use the search bar at the upper left hand corner of the home page, or the drop down menus for year, make, and model. If you are still having trouble finding a pump to fit your bike, give us a call 10AM-5PM PST at 1-818-574-FUEL (3835).

Features & Benefits:

Drop-in replacement

So that pump would work on a Pilot also?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:10 pm 

redskinman wrote:
TerryH wrote:
Garemie wrote:
Link to pump?

Features & Benefits:

Drop-in replacement

So that pump would work on a Pilot also?

Appears to me that it should. You can call them and ask. They were quite helpful on the phone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:23 pm 

That thing is really sharp. I’m leaning toward the pump can’t wait to see how it works for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 pm 

Rickster wrote:
That thing is really sharp. I’m leaning toward the pump can’t wait to see how it works for you.

Won't be long now. Hurry up and wait on USPS to bring the new key. :-) I have confidence that this little pump is going to be the real deal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 pm 

TerryH wrote:
Rickster wrote:

Won't be long now. Hurry up and wait on USPS to bring the new key. :-) I have confidence that this little pump is going to be the real deal.

I already ordered three of them :-) .
Lets see who gets them first.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:33 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
TerryH wrote:
Rickster wrote:

I already ordered three of them :-) .
Lets see who gets them first.
CO

You talk to Quantum about the pumps at all or just go with it CO?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:37 pm 

TerryH wrote:

You talk to Quantum about the pumps at all or just go with it CO?

I just went with it. They'll work. Besides you already said this pump is running on another guys machine as we speak so I am not going challenge you on that :-) .
If the pump is already in service and it's proven then it's all over --- no more arguments. The End.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 am 

The thing that puzzles me is that for years these Polaris vacuum fuel pumps have been rock solid, and I do mean rock solid. They were VERY reliable. Now all of a sudden these pumps won't work.
I have three FL350's and all three failed at the same time.
Then I tried the 3 spare Chinese pumps (Polaris knock offs) that I had and they failed, all of them.
I even tried one on a spare Engine I had on the shelf.
The only thing I didn't try was to put check valves on the pump at the intake and outlet side of the pump. The reasoning is that maybe the valves in the pumps have failed but I did take one apart and saw nothing obvious. Even tried making my own diaphragm LOL.
Then I got mad and spent $200 to buy 2 new Polaris (made in Japan) pumps and they both failed --- WTF ??
Now I have purchased 3 new electric pumps from Quantum.

I have spent hundreds of dollars (literally) on fuel pumps.
This has been one issue that I have not yet solved and it's frustrating.
I wonder if the homo's are making ALL the pumps in China now ??
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
The thing that puzzles me is that for years these Polaris vacuum fuel pumps have been rock solid, and I do mean rock solid. They were VERY reliable. Now all of a sudden these pumps won't work.
I have three FL350's and all three failed at the same time.
Then I tried the 3 spare Chinese pumps (Polaris knock offs) that I had and they failed, all of them.
I even tried one on a spare Engine I had on the shelf.
The only thing I didn't try was to put check valves on the pump at the intake and outlet side of the pump. The reasoning is that maybe the valves in the pumps have failed but I did take one apart and saw nothing obvious. Even tried making my own diaphragm LOL.
Then I got mad and spent $200 to buy 2 new Polaris (made in Japan) pumps and they both failed --- WTF ??
Now I have purchased 3 new electric pumps from Quantum.

I have spent hundreds of dollars (literally) on fuel pumps.
This has been one issue that I have not yet solved and it's frustrating.
I wonder if the homo's are making ALL the pumps in China now ??
CO

I thought it interesting that my buddy with the electric pump on his 350 had the exact same issues as we both have had. He eventually gave up and took it to his local Honda dealer and they told him they replace the pulse pumps with these electrics all the time so he had them order and install. I wonder how many Engine failures are from weak pulse pumps that no one ever checked?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:19 pm 

TerryH wrote:
I wonder how many Engine failures are from weak pulse pumps that no one ever checked?

Yeah that's kind of my thinking now too.
Based on the number of Engine re $ re on this site, I bet it's a lot of them.
I wonder if this was also a major contributor to the failure rate of the factory original oddy in 1985 ??
Randman and I always got into a gun fight over fuel octane and Avgas. He was able to run his machines with pump gas. I was not that successful with it. The AV fuel gives you a lot of cushion if something is wrong on an Engine. With pump gas it's over instantly.
They had a lot of recalls on the oddy's in 1985 and the factory killed the machine after only one year.
If you are going to put an air cooled Engine behind a seat everything better be spot on spec or it's over.
Imagine trying to jet your carb with an intermittent or low fuel supply ??
CO

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 532 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next