Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:38 am 

If you relocate your radiator, you can use some stock hose from your local auto parts store. Just replace the 2 hoses that go to the radiator. The fuel filter can still be ordered at www.servicehonda.com if you want to replace it. It is just a paper element filter, so it might be a good idea to replace it if you are questioning it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:13 am 

Thanks Nick, I may just come out to Dumont on the 18th. I have been down on my shoulder surgery. S0 I am due for a ride. its been like 3 months.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am 

Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
hoser wrote:
Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
Yes, actually there is. I did the easy measure method that Hoser recommended and things look good that way. He also recommended that i get a different head. so Thanks to a really awesome guy off the threads. Who's name I wont disclose, hooked me up with a cool head. As soon as it gets here I will finish up the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). In the mean time I changed out all the hoses off the carb. I still need to change out the hoses for the fuel lines and radiator hoses. I saw someone selling the radiator hoses for 118. Its a little more than i would like to spend at the moment. "They look great and all just a little more than I would like to spend at the time" anyone have any other recommendations? for fuel line and radiator hoses? I also need another choke assembly for the 39mm Kehin carb. where would a good place to get one of those? Anyone?

Whats wrong with your current lines and hoses?

well the ones i have seem to be hardening up. Maybe not so much the radiator hoses but for sure the gas lines. Another question is if i relocate my radiator will the set that he sells still work?
And one other question i have is. How long will a fuel filter last? I've never changed it and not sure If the guy that owed it previously did. I"m sure ATV Racing did. The guy had them replace everything. He wanted it right for his wife. Any ideas?

IF you have the Honda fuel filter remove it put your finger and thumb over the openings and shake it up good then dump the gas out in a paper towel see what comes out most usually have something, then fill the filter about 1/2 full with carb cleaner filling through the outlet side (back flushing affect) shake it up again, keep doing this until clean then use the filter again, I been doing this for years with no ill affects, never have found dirt in my carb, those filters kick ass and are very good very high quality, I suggest if you replace the filter replace it only with the Honda filter, kinda pricey they are about 9 bux but are well worth the extra cost, I keep a spare in my spare parts box..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:54 am 

hoser wrote:
Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
hoser wrote:
Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
Yes, actually there is. I did the easy measure method that Hoser recommended and things look good that way. He also recommended that i get a different head. so Thanks to a really awesome guy off the threads. Who's name I wont disclose, hooked me up with a cool head. As soon as it gets here I will finish up the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). In the mean time I changed out all the hoses off the carb. I still need to change out the hoses for the fuel lines and radiator hoses. I saw someone selling the radiator hoses for 118. Its a little more than i would like to spend at the moment. "They look great and all just a little more than I would like to spend at the time" anyone have any other recommendations? for fuel line and radiator hoses? I also need another choke assembly for the 39mm Kehin carb. where would a good place to get one of those? Anyone?

Whats wrong with your current lines and hoses?

well the ones i have seem to be hardening up. Maybe not so much the radiator hoses but for sure the gas lines. Another question is if i relocate my radiator will the set that he sells still work?
And one other question i have is. How long will a fuel filter last? I've never changed it and not sure If the guy that owed it previously did. I"m sure ATV Racing did. The guy had them replace everything. He wanted it right for his wife. Any ideas?

IF you have the Honda fuel filter remove it put your finger and thumb over the openings and shake it up good then dump the gas out in a paper towel see what comes out most usually have something, then fill the filter about 1/2 full with carb cleaner filling through the outlet side (back flushing affect) shake it up again, keep doing this until clean then use the filter again, I been doing this for years with no ill affects, never have found dirt in my carb, those filters kick ass and are very good very high quality, I suggest if you replace the filter replace it only with the Honda filter, kinda pricey they are about 9 bux but are well worth the extra cost, I keep a spare in my spare parts box..

Where did you find a pilot filter for $9? I need to purchase one of those for mine as well sir. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 pm 

Pilot popper, If I read correctly your new bore size will be 82mm. If speedchasers head uses a stock type head gasket then I would look into a large bore gasket verse the stock. I do not care for the way the stock hangs in the cylinder on with an 82mm piston. May want to run by speed and "H". I would defently recomend doing some number crunching on the cylinder with the new head at 82mm. The head gasket would play a part in this. For some reason if (stress, IF) a new thicker gasket can be purchased to help. Cometic can help with custom gaskets stock type or copper. May even want to give some thought to having this 82mm bore plated for the new wiesco. This will prevent you from having it resleeved incase of an rut ru. Just a thought.

As a side note: When ever a Engine has been modified like yours have, stock plug heat range jetting ect is out the window.

Attachments:
File comment: part #'s for 350 and 400 82mm head gasket
fl 350 400 82mm head gasket.JPG [50.45 KiB]
Downloaded 161 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm 

I have it at 81.5 so for sure I need to look into it. I though I just bought another gasket and throw it on lol so I suppose I will contact one of them. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 am 

Here is an update. I got my cool pilot head in. after looking at davidafco's motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) under projects i was able to zoom in on his. looked at the difference and sure enough it has to be at least an 1/8th if not more this head has been shaved. So Hoser for sure was right about that. I took a few pics and there is a huge difference in height of the new cool head and the old one. will this change a lot? If so what? My other question is, what jetting should i start out with since this is a totally diff head?
I do realize that the new head has the indentation where the plug goes, but I'm sure there is still somewhat of a difference. I think with my head being chopped, this will be back to all stock with the new one having the indentation. Is this correct?

Attachments:
IMG_20110128_233542.jpg
IMG_20110128_233542.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 722 times ]
IMG_20110128_233557.jpg
IMG_20110128_233557.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 722 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:07 am 

I also notice that the old head has the dome off to the side where as the new one is dead center. Will this make a difference? performance or how the fuel com-busts? and are the domes interchangeable in the new head or one setting?

Attachments:
IMG_20110128_233930.jpg
IMG_20110128_233930.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 722 times ]
IMG_20110128_234004.jpg
IMG_20110128_234004.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 722 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:12 am 

And my last question so far is. when i placed the gasket on the new Head, I notice it has a lot of closed off holes and I'm pretty sure that's not right. So where do I get the proper gasket for this new head?

WHAT A WORK OF ART! That baby is so sweeeet looking i don't wanna use it. I just wanna keep it on my desk and stare at it all day. :-)

Attachments:
IMG_20110128_234321.jpg
IMG_20110128_234321.jpg [ 1023.01 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]
IMG_20110128_234218.jpg
IMG_20110128_234218.jpg [ 1001.85 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]
IMG_20110128_233703.jpg
IMG_20110128_233703.jpg [ 987.25 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 am 

Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
And my last question so far is. when i placed the gasket on the new Head, I notice it has a lot of closed off holes and I'm pretty sure that's not right. So where do I get the proper gasket for this new head?

WHAT A WORK OF ART! That baby is so sweeeet looking i don't wanna use it. I just wanna keep it on my desk and stare at it all day. :-)

The tab on the head gasket goes towards the intake side, the gasket and head will only fit on the cylinder one way the bolt pattern being slightly off ensures this.

I would start out with the same jetting you were using the last time it ran right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:50 am 

The tab on your 89 head is gone due to the milling of the head. It was milled down to wher it was so thin they most likly just broke it off, see pic. When comparing the head the 89 and 90 casting where slightly diferent. 89 being black and 90 cast silver. As you mill down the head the plug tip get closer to the piston crown and need to be considered. When using a head milled down to indexing the plug or at least attention to it must be considered. You can before bolting up speeds head take you 89 head old gasket and place the piston at TDC (Top Dead Center) and measure the distance from top of the head plug hole to the piston crown and get a number. Then you can take the speed head and do the same and see the difference. When indexing the plug on a milled head on has to pay attenetion the distance the plug is sucked up into the heads plug hole. This will lead to cold fouling. One has to take material away from the bottom of the plug hole and taper the dome into plug hole to get the tip in a correct position. Gaskets, piston type and other varibles apply. Speeds work is for sure nice.

Attachments:
File comment: Tab gone
IMG_20110128_233703[1].jpg [29.17 KiB]
Downloaded 125 times
File comment: an 89 head
89 cut.JPG [91.22 KiB]
Downloaded 125 times
89 head.JPG [66.54 KiB]
Downloaded 125 times

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:08 am 

adnoh wrote:
The tab on your 89 head is gone due to the milling of the head. It was milled down to wher it was so thin they most likly just broke it off, see pic. When comparing the head the 89 and 90 casting where slightly diferent. 89 being black and 90 cast silver. As you mill down the head the plug tip get closer to the piston crown and need to be considered. When using a head milled down to indexing the plug or at least attention to it must be considered. You can before bolting up speeds head take you 89 head old gasket and place the piston at TDC (Top Dead Center) and measure the distance from top of the head plug hole to the piston crown and get a number. Then you can take the speed head and do the same and see the difference. When indexing the plug on a milled head on has to pay attenetion the distance the plug is sucked up into the heads plug hole. This will lead to cold fouling. One has to take material away from the bottom of the plug hole and taper the dome into plug hole to get the tip in a correct position. Gaskets, piston type and other varibles apply. Speeds work is for sure nice.

You have to machine off about .160 the stock head to remove the tab, I have 2-3 stock heads if you want to try one, I also have 2-3 hoserized stock heads set to 49cc if you want to try a modified stock head, long as guys can get the speedchaser heads I have not been trying to sell these the cool head is so much better all the way around, when the day comes we cant get cool heads any more I will sell these on ebay since Honda has discontinued them.

Its been so long I cant remember but I think I sent these dimensions to speedchaser to build the domes off of? http://www.pilotodyssey.com/Pilothead.htm

Here are the first two cool heads I owned and some info off them the speedchaser is basically a copy of them (both made by ProDesign) speedchaser has his own design for the coolant connection and used my dome design http://www.pilotodyssey.com/duncanheadhtm.htm

I contacted speedchaser to make heads after Prodesign said they had no interest in making them any more for the Pilot, I sent speedchaser one of my heads to reference.

What ever speedchaser used all I know is it works perfect no complaints so far no abnormal unexplainable symptoms or problems, those running the speedchaser head on my hoserized engines all seem to be real happy about the performance and reliability, no jetting problems etc.

FYI you see the PilotOdyssey.com name on some of the speedchaser heads per my and the owners request, I made no money off the heads, I make no money off any of the products speedchaser sells, I get no special discounts or treatment, you can get the speedchaser heads (when in stock) plain or with PilotOdyssey.com or with Pilot Cool Head on them I think he will also do custom engraving if you wanted to personalize yours.

I think the only complaint I have heard on the heads is they are not always in stock and dirt accumulates around the spark plug but that's an easy fix :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:25 pm 

Glad you got the head Pro pilot popper. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 am 

I just talked to PPP on the phone, what do you guys think of him using a dremel and opening up the water jacket holes on that head gasket? Why would those holes be so small in the first place?
Also, what is to be done with the small (1/4''?) hose that used to have a barb on the stock head, and the speedchaser head does not have that barb? I guess you just plug the hose from the radiator?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:00 am 

nickRNR wrote:
I just talked to PPP on the phone, what do you guys think of him using a dremel and opening up the water jacket holes on that head gasket? Why would those holes be so small in the first place?
Also, what is to be done with the small (1/4''?) hose that used to have a barb on the stock head, and the speedchaser head does not have that barb? I guess you just plug the hose from the radiator?

Install the head as it is same with the head gasket its all engineered and works perfectly start modifying it and your on your own.

The smaller holes in the head gasket are to direct the coolant flow where more cooling is needed = engineered.

Yes the small hose on the radiator gets plugged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:57 pm 

As Nick said, We spoke for the first time last night. We are planning up that Dumont trip in Feb. Looking forward to that. I got to looking at the head gasket on both heads. Crazy how they both have the same coverage in those holes. And I gotcha loud and clear on the "Your on Your own, if you start changing those holes" LOL. Just by looking at it you would think you would want to open those babies up! But as you said that's Engineering for ya. So since this metal gasket was only on for a week can I re use it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm 

Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
As Nick said, We spoke for the first time last night. We are planning up that Dumont trip in Feb. Looking forward to that. I got to looking at the head gasket on both heads. Crazy how they both have the same coverage in those holes. And I gotcha loud and clear on the "Your on Your own, if you start changing those holes" LOL. Just by looking at it you would think you would want to open those babies up! But as you said that's Engineering for ya. So since this metal gasket was only on for a week can I re use it?

I never tried to reuse one of those gaskets so cant really tell you either way guess I have to pull the 'your on your own' on this one too hah

don't know if you ever been their but you will like Dumont, you guys need to see if you can find that trail system that is supposedly to run almost to the coast, guess its the old rail road tracks and has trails that spider every where off the main trail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 am 

So wondering if there is much of a difference in the metal or the "cardboard" i guess you would call it. Gasket. Is there any difference? Also I notice that the metal one is like 3 layers. What do people normally run?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am 

Pro-Pilot-Popper wrote:
So wondering if there is much of a difference in the metal or the "cardboard" i guess you would call it. Gasket. Is there any difference? Also I notice that the metal one is like 3 layers. What do people normally run?

My first choice is the OEM head gasket the 3 layer black metal, I have not run the after market on the Pilot but have not seen anything wrong with them on the Pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:58 am 

So I finally got around to installing the jug back on. I'm showing top dead center.

Attachments:
IMG_20110209_022652.jpg
IMG_20110209_022652.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 611 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 am 

I wanted to test it out to check and see how much of a difference there is from the shaved head to the speedchaser head. I made sure I did the exact same measurements. This is what I got. Not sure what .09 thousands of an inch is but there ya have it.

Attachments:
IMG_20110209_024743.jpg
IMG_20110209_024743.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 611 times ]
IMG_20110209_024548.jpg
IMG_20110209_024548.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 611 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:06 pm 

Alright buddy! Get that motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) back together, looks like you are almost done! Dumont is calling...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:30 pm 

hoser wrote:
nickRNR wrote:

Install the head as it is same with the head gasket its all engineered and works perfectly start modifying it and your on your own.

The smaller holes in the head gasket are to direct the coolant flow where more cooling is needed = engineered.

Yes the small hose on the radiator gets plugged.

I think Nick and PPP were talking about opening up the water jacket holes on the GASKET, not the head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:51 am 

Tonight i cleaned out the fuel filter just as NickRNR had mentioned. It was clean. surprisingly. I finally finished her up and she ran for the first time tonight. Something isn't right with the choke. I pulled it out to start it and it took 3-4 times before i pushed it in and it started up. So not sure why that is but it does run. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 am 

I ran it for a few minutes and when I pulled the plug it was really wet. So I am wondering if the 185 jet will be way to big? I also did a compression test to just get an idea of what it was. I know it wasn't hot let alone enough time for the rings to seet but it had 140lbs.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next