Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oddy Build
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 pm 

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I started building an FL350 a few months ago. I picked it up fairly cheap, it was in rough condition and needed a lot of love. I haven't done to much to it yet, but I think I am getting fairly close to finishing it up.

The list so far:
Frame has been powdercoated flat black
Control Arms and other things powdercoated candy red, the picture below does no justice how great it looks.
New seals and bearings on all 4
Rebuilt the transmission
Rewired the entire harness
Aluminum spun tank
Ceramic coated the exhaust

Still needed:
New wheels
new shocks
rebuild the Engine
Debating on buying fenders for it or not?
Cool head, I have a radiator from a CBR I think would work great.

I have wanted one of these since I was a little kid. Such cool toys. I think after this build is over I am going to purchase a Pilot as well. I would love to have both. If anyone has any recommendations for the stuff I still need please send me a link or give me some info on where I can buy the parts. I typically just buy stuff of of ebay as time goes on, but other outlets would be nice. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Oddy Build
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 pm 

Welcome to the group. It good to see these old bikes coming back to life. Hey the first pic looks like one of my old 350 beaters. I enclosed a pic below, notice the weed growing in the seat , no not that kind of weed!. For parts, guys on this board usually have any parts you need, just post in the FOR SALE/WANTED section. I get a lot of my parts from Randy at Odysseysalvage.com. I also use Service Honda. The rebuild looks good so far, keep up the good work :-) ::-:

Attachments:
P1000734.jpg
P1000734.jpg [ 276.52 KiB | Viewed 1261 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:41 am 

Welcome and good job! Personally I like a black n red look especially if you find some black rims with red beadlocks like Hypers. Not sure white fenders would look right on there. maybe red pilot plastic??? I ride with a good friend that lives in Ogden,maybe meet up at Killpecker again this year??? There was a Pilot for 3500 on KSL.com a couple of weeks back,its also a good place to find some good used wheels n tires.

Stix,your seat garden kills me! LMAO :-)

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am 

Looking good it should be ready to ride by time the weather turns?

Where do you do most your riding?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 am 

Thanks for the comments, replies. And I agree with Gary, that weed growing in your seat is sweet Stix. Im surprised mine wasn't growing any weeds

I live in Salt Lake City and do a lot of riding... everywhere really. We go to the dunes near Delta, UT, also called Little Sahara. I know of the Little Sahara in OK, my brother lives near there.

I also visit Killpecker up in Wyoming (I grew up in that area), as well at St.Anthony's in Idaho. But my favorite place to ride is between Moab and Green River, UT.
The wife and I ride all over though, we aren't huge sand riders. We like trails and riding on every type of terrain. I also known an all dirt route from SLC to St.George if anyone is ever interested in a 580 mile ride.

As for my Odyssey. I plan on having it ready to go in another month or so. I think I am going to go with some Douglas wheels, I will most likely powder coat them black. I'm not very aware of other wheel manufactures, I'll search the forum and see if I can find other options. I remember reading about black fenders some where some months ago, but I am unable to find them again and figure they are probably discontinued. I suppose I could have white ones painted though. I am a little iffy on the Engine I have. It has a hole in the piston. But the guy I bought it from welded the end of the clutch on. So I have been thinking about scrapping it all together and starting out with a different Engine. I would like to keep it fairly stock besides the head. At one point I thought about putting my extra Honda Aquatrax turbo Engine on it. But I don't think the transmission would hold up to 165 horsepower, nor would my body when I wreck the thing at 120. I will have to post up in the classifieds about some new parts. Where is the best place to buy aftermarket shocks through?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:01 am 

I was told White Wash dunes area in Utah is cool but never road there. I did ride St As a couple of times...my favorite!

If your Engine has a hole in the piston, she got very lean. To get very lean you have to have too much air, so unless some one changed jets, you have an air leak! Those are usually a bad gasket or seal. Seals are in the bottom end. I have never heard of someone welding the clutch on, that's crazy! lol Pictures? don't throw it away, maybe some parts are still salvagable. Probably ruin the clutch n crank with a grinding wheel to get it off...but they can be replaced. Maybe not,who knows.

Whats a water trax? Jetski or sled? 165hp will break stuff pretty quickly in my opinion plus very hard to put the power to the ground without good suspension. I run some hotrod 350s(no where near that power) and tend to break axles n trannies.

Works shocks are the best replacement shock for a 350 by far...but very spendy, be prepared to spend $800-$1200 for a set of 4. They are working on a group buy to save some money on another thread here, check it out.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 pm 

The stock rear FL350 shocks are crap. If you cant afford all 4 shocks at least replace the rears with the Works, they are expensive but you will feel like you are driving a cadillac compared to the STIFF stockers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 pm 

My fav is riding dunes and sandy trails. I live 2 hours from Little Sahara,Oklahoma so when I want to dune ride that's where I go. I like sand. Have you or Gary been to Killpecker and Little Sahara Utah and Little Sahara, Oklahoma?. Which of Killpecker or Little Sahara,Utah would you guys reccommend. We got an RV and want to take a trip to a good dune area besides Glamis since Glamis looks too Crazy, yes were old fogies but we still like to get crazy just not drunk crazy if ya know what I mean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:45 pm 

With the works shocks on at least the rear I like to refer to my Ody as my 65 MPH recliner! Pretty damn comfortable ride over stock!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 pm 

osborneready wrote:
Thanks for the comments, replies. And I agree with Gary, that weed growing in your seat is sweet Stix. Im surprised mine wasn't growing any weeds

I live in Salt Lake City and do a lot of riding... everywhere really. We go to the dunes near Delta, UT, also called Little Sahara. I know of the Little Sahara in OK, my brother lives near there.

I also visit Killpecker up in Wyoming (I grew up in that area), as well at St.Anthony's in Idaho. But my favorite place to ride is between Moab and Green River, UT.
The wife and I ride all over though, we aren't huge sand riders. We like trails and riding on every type of terrain. I also known an all dirt route from SLC to St.George if anyone is ever interested in a 580 mile ride.

As for my Odyssey. I plan on having it ready to go in another month or so. I think I am going to go with some Douglas wheels, I will most likely powder coat them black. I'm not very aware of other wheel manufactures, I'll search the forum and see if I can find other options. I remember reading about black fenders some where some months ago, but I am unable to find them again and figure they are probably discontinued. I suppose I could have white ones painted though. I am a little iffy on the Engine I have. It has a hole in the piston. But the guy I bought it from welded the end of the clutch on. So I have been thinking about scrapping it all together and starting out with a different Engine. I would like to keep it fairly stock besides the head. At one point I thought about putting my extra Honda Aquatrax turbo Engine on it. But I don't think the transmission would hold up to 165 horsepower, nor would my body when I wreck the thing at 120. I will have to post up in the classifieds about some new parts. Where is the best place to buy aftermarket shocks through?

Thanks!

Can you post some detail pictures of the Engine carnage maybe it can be salvaged, sometimes things look worse than they are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm 

stix9567 wrote:
My fav is riding dunes and sandy trails. I live 2 hours from Little Sahara,Oklahoma so when I want to dune ride that's where I go. I like sand. Have you or Gary been to Killpecker and Little Sahara Utah and Little Sahara, Oklahoma?. Which of Killpecker or Little Sahara,Utah would you guys reccommend. We got an RV and want to take a trip to a good dune area besides Glamis since Glamis looks too Crazy, yes were old fogies but we still like to get crazy just not drunk crazy if ya know what I mean.

Killpecker is fairly larger with some big tall open dunes, little bigger than LS Ok(been there too). LS Ut is not as big with one very large hillside to climb as the main attraction. Lots more people ride at Ut than Wy so my vote is Killpecker of the two hands down. I also must tell you if you come that far, might as well go 6 hrs more n ride St As in Idaho, kinda near Yellowstone area. Best damn dunes in the country! IMHO Let me know when/if you come out this way,would love to meet up.(I am an ol fart too) lol

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm 

Randman wrote:
With the works shocks on at least the rear I like to refer to my Ody as my 65 MPH recliner! Pretty damn comfortable ride over stock!

Rand

lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:59 pm 

stix wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

lol

Lets see.......

I could install a drink holder, TV remote holder, pad the foot well........... I just need to find a spot for the kegger!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:42 pm 

I have just the place for the kegger, lol

Attachments:
P1000736.jpg
P1000736.jpg [ 228.09 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
stix9567 wrote:

Killpecker is fairly larger with some big tall open dunes, little bigger than LS Ok(been there too). LS Ut is not as big with one very large hillside to climb as the main attraction. Lots more people ride at Ut than Wy so my vote is Killpecker of the two hands down. I also must tell you if you come that far, might as well go 6 hrs more n ride St As in Idaho, kinda near Yellowstone area. Best damn dunes in the country! IMHO Let me know when/if you come out this way,would love to meet up.(I am an ol fart too) lol

Gary

I found some pics taken from St Anthonys and Killpecker dunes, heres the links

http://www.dunereview.com/rocksprings.htm" ."..
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U" .".. ... arch_10day

St. Anthony, Idaho: St. Anthony Dunes Sand Dunes
http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony.htm" ."..
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U" .".. ... arch_10day

St Anthony definatly looks like a must :-) . Wow 300' bowls, WHEW!! I also mapquested from here to there! 1300 miles to St Anthony. round trip cost of gas will be around $1000 at 10 mpg on our Motorhome. Depending on what the oil futures will "assume" to be, it might cost more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:19 am 

Hey guys,

UPDATE on my Odyssey build. I have been throwing around some options about the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). Initially I wanted to just put the factory Honda 350 in her, but as time has went on I have been debating on putting either a 2002 Polaris 440 X sled motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or 2009 Polaris Dragon 800 sled motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) in. I know the stock trans could handle the 440, the 800 though has over 160 hp and I would for sure need better trans and axles.

Is there any place I can purchase aftermarket internal parts to beef up the stock trans? Or is putting an RMK800 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) in an Odyssey just crazy talk?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 pm 

i have black fenders on my oddy, they were done with line X. if your going to put an 800 in there i would upgrade to a RPM gear box

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:24 pm 

hears a pic..i would love to get rid of all the gold and do it in red to match the belt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:26 pm 

I like that. I need to get my hands on some plastics for mine. I am thinking about doing my wheels in a gold or bronze, I kinda like the look. This week it should be pretty nice here I will have to pull the Odyssey out of the garage and snap some shots. The candy red powdercoat on the flat black powdercoat looks very sexy.

I might be buying a stock motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) off a guy soon so I might be saving my RMK800 Engine for a new winter toy. I cant wait to get my Odyssey finished though. I got a hold of some new shocks for the rear for $25. THey are in great condition, I still want to get an aftermarket setup though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm 

my wheels are the gold color

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:57 pm 

That looks good, what seat are you running? I have a terrible seat and its on my list of things to replace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:20 pm 

hoser wrote:
osborneready wrote:

Thanks!

Can you post some detail pictures of the Engine carnage maybe it can be salvaged, sometimes things look worse than they are.

I will get some images posted tonight of the carnage of the current Engine I have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:22 pm 

not sure on the brand. but its a racing bucket seat. made of plastic, with a cushion wrap on it for some padding

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:25 pm 

Also one more question for you gurus. Has anyone put Pilot fenders on an Odyssey? There is a guy local here that is selling some Pilot fenders for cheap.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 pm 

fully wrote:
not sure on the brand. but its a racing bucket seat. made of plastic, with a cushion wrap on it for some padding

Can you describe or take pictures of how the seat is mounted please?

Rand

Profile E-mail