Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dumont California ride
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 am 

I am going there with some quad guys around Feb 20-25. The last day there is something called 4 stroke wars going on. I will bring the 420/350 and the 250R trike. Anyone else out there that can make it? I would love to tilt back a few barley sodas with some board members.

Gary

Attachments:
File comment: First mountian of sand when you pull in
distance5.JPG
distance5.JPG [ 39.41 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]
File comment: looking down at the campers
MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG [ 37.41 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]
File comment: Don't ever go there over Thanksgiving
noth campgrounds3.JPG
noth campgrounds3.JPG [ 57.1 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]
File comment: one of the comp hills
MVC-025F.JPG
MVC-025F.JPG [ 31.98 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]
File comment: SW side looking East
SW end.JPG
SW end.JPG [ 39.98 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]
File comment: smaller stuff, kinda razor backed in places too
MVC-011F.JPG
MVC-011F.JPG [ 38.19 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:12 pm 

In case you brought a laptop...
I am loading Sunday morning with a piece to Long Beach. I will come back to the house and finish putting the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and radiator in, should be delivered on thursday afternoon and I could be there late thursday or first thing Friday!!! I will call you, and see about saving me a spot to park nearby!!!
David
210831-8764
p.s. I think I will have some new shocks to install???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:41 am 

I am West bound!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:55 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I am West bound!!!

I am EAST bound, sorry I missed you, some day we will connect.

They were filming some sort of space movie or comerical the day before I left. More pics when I get home.

Attachments:
space-ody.jpg
space-ody.jpg [ 49.56 KiB | Viewed 1412 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:56 pm 

Nukem wsa talking and walking jibbersih after this mishap film clips at 11, he had two cameras rolling when he pulled off this stunt.

Attachments:
bent.jpg
bent.jpg [ 78.69 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:59 pm 

Sand was getting smooth when I left

Attachments:
camp-dumont.jpg
camp-dumont.jpg [ 58.52 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:03 pm 

What happens at Dumont stays at Dumont..... Well almost lmao

Attachments:
nukeblow.jpg
nukeblow.jpg [ 80.64 KiB | Viewed 1405 times ]
nukeblow1.jpg
nukeblow1.jpg [ 71.67 KiB | Viewed 1405 times ]
nukeblow2.jpg
nukeblow2.jpg [ 75.44 KiB | Viewed 1405 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:18 pm 

Ever see a guy smile so much about eating a hotdog? First retalitory fire!

I'll post alot more pictures and stories later.

Attachments:
MVC-008F.JPG
MVC-008F.JPG [ 46.07 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:44 pm 

Hey Gary,

Rumor has it that you're going to a new handle, something like "Flipper", I can't wait to see the video!

Post subject: hmmmmm
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:09 am 

I want to see the footage........ Did the 420 hold together????? Well, besides being launched and making the roof panel into a birdbath.

:-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 pm 

OK, heres the story on the wreck.... I did roll up the 420 off a dune but the buggy got minimal damage and I got a concussion...I think. LOL

It was pretty windy that night and left fresh razorbacks everywhere.
The wind changed the last dune along a ridge before dropping down on a long thin dune sometime overnight. When I came up over the nice rounded top of the dune, the bottom just went away. I went 119ft before the first impact, which was on the top rear of the cage and proceded to go end over end several times and landing on the wheels(of course) 275ft at the bottom. I happen to have two cameras running, one the front and Hoser's helmet cam on the rear. The front one dislodged and landed in the sand but the helmet cam stayed put. The violent rolling did not allow the camera to run until I was just finishing the last roll. A few seconds after I roll out onto the desert floor, I started the Engine and take off around the side of the dune then up it. When I get to the top, I stop and back up several feet then go back down partially. that's when the quad guy I was riding with found me. I stop, get out and start talking, staggering around, and inspecting the damage. Dented the lid, 8" chunk out of the rear fender, bent the radiator into the head net but the cage looks straight.
Next he goes and gets the missing camcorder from the crash site and returns with it still running. We then walk up to the edge where I launched from with his camera taking pictures of the impacts. This is where I start remembering things since going over the edge. I remember going off the edge and thinking...aw shit, not again. Then I was standing there looking down. I lost out on 5-10 minutes, and I still have a bad headache. I guess I should see the base doc tomorrow. I was never really out, just do not remember anything. Good thing I had the tape.

Still waiting on some more pictures to get sent to me and I can't down load the videos so I guess Hoser will do it when he gets home(he has copies!)LOL

Attachments:
File comment: Hoser helping me with jetting the 420
MVC-015F.JPG
MVC-015F.JPG [ 47.55 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]
MVC-012F.JPG
MVC-012F.JPG [ 50.12 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]
MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-001F.JPG [ 41.71 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-006F.JPG [ 33.55 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]
MVC-016F.JPG
MVC-016F.JPG [ 75.07 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]
File comment: 550lb homebuild with a GSXR1100, very fast!
MVC-017F.JPG
MVC-017F.JPG [ 58.38 KiB | Viewed 1342 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:17 am 

HOME!

Long ass drive....

294 emails lmao might take a few days to read them hope those who sent them are in no big hurry.

I have a ton of pics !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:56 am 

G'Day Gary, glad to hear you made it out alright after your dune tumble. That's a biggan! How many lives you got left? :shock:
Hoser, might pay to do a speed reading course with all those emails :-) Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:41 am 

hoser wrote:
HOME!

Long ass drive....

294 emails lmao might take a few days to read them hope those who sent them are in no big hurry.

I have a ton of pics !

I had a total of two pictures, some antelope in New Mexico, before my camera crapped out.

I also had a lot of emails, mostly junk so it was easy to get thru.

3,785 miles, truck says it averaged 11.2 mpg, but, I think it may be exagerating.

My trailer hitch is looking worn out, how long are they supposed to be good for?

I never got the satellite dish installed, probably wouldn't have had time to watch TV anyway, so next time maybe.

I left Colorado with temps near zero and 18 inches of ice on my street, came back and it was all gone and 60 degrees.

Ted and I plan to ride at Little Sahara in a couple of weeks, so I left my trailer and Drakart down there, while it is there, he is going to install the tach and pingle, Thanks Son!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 pm 

Drakman wrote:
hoser wrote:
HOME!

Long ass drive....

I have a ton of pics !

I had a total of two pictures, some antelope in New Mexico, before my camera crapped out.

I also had a lot of emails, mostly junk so it was easy to get thru.

3,785 miles, truck says it averaged 11.2 mpg, but, I think it may be exagerating.

My trailer hitch is looking worn out, how long are they supposed to be good for?

I never got the satellite dish installed, probably wouldn't have had time to watch TV anyway, so next time maybe.

I left Colorado with temps near zero and 18 inches of ice on my street, came back and it was all gone and 60 degrees.

Ted and I plan to ride at Little Sahara in a couple of weeks, so I left my trailer and Drakart down there, while it is there, he is going to install the tach and pingle, Thanks Son!

Trailer hitch worn out? You have pics I don't get it....

24 day trip, way too short, I could spend 3 months out west exploring the riding areas I found.

Just checked my miles 5358.4 miles round trip ...

Hoser hauler ran flawlessly fuel pump started to weep again off and on guess soon as weather breaks I will change it, copper tubing that runs from the air compressor to the cooler has a small leak that needs fixed, other than regular maintenance like changing the oil and grease the hauler is ready for its next trip.

I now have about 9k miles on the new tires, how often are you suppose to rotate semi tires? (10R 22) TurboTexas or others know? How do I rotate?

I only checked mpg for a few tanks and it was about the same as the big trip west last year 5-7 mpg, about 1-2 mpg less than my other MH was getting, I wont be spending 60 to 80k bux to get the alleged 10 mpg others boast, glad I don't own a diesel! I think the whole trip price of diesel was at least .30 a gallon more than gas..

I took too many pics, over 3000, I am trying to sort them now so I can post in the PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album, I took pictures of anything and everything lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:57 pm 

No pics, camera was having problems, it was OK when I got home, maybe it was frozen when I tried it.

It is an equalizer hitch, remember the bars that fit into the part near the ball? Well, the bottom holes are supposed to be round, but they are egging out, you can see the metal stretching out and piling up. It is in Oklahoma, maybe sometime Ted can get a picture.

I am going to do some checking and see if there is a better type, or at a minimum, see if they will replace the worn part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:47 pm 

Drakman wrote:

No pics, camera was having problems, it was OK when I got home, maybe it was frozen when I tried it.

It is an equalizer hitch, remember the bars that fit into the part near the ball? Well, the bottom holes are supposed to be round, but they are egging out, you can see the metal stretching out and piling up. It is in Oklahoma, maybe sometime Ted can get a picture.

I am going to do some checking and see if there is a better type, or at a minimum, see if they will replace the worn part.

I seen galling and wear on moving parts but I doubt that is covered by a warranty, looking at the ball and moving parts you need to lube them up good before use with some quality EP grease.

The egging out of the material is a warning sign the parts are about to fail I would cure this NOW or before the next trip! I hate to see you trying to limp that trailer to a shop without the torsion bars hooked up....

You said something about bending the hitch, I will assume your exceeding the limits of the whole hitch setup and need a stronger one or the next bigger one?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:50 pm 

What a trip!! as far as the tires keep inflation at recomended levels, balance them, even the rears!!! Make sure they are not directional... will have an arrow on sidewall... if they are NOT directional I rotate mine every 6 months with about 5000 per month... You could do it once a year and be good...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:53 pm 

Now you understand why I stay in this part of the country so much!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 pm 

Quote:

This is typical wear for these set ups. I have not worn one out yet, only 15k miles on my trailer. My Dad dose a lot more towing than I do so I will relate his experience. His load leveler bracket and the end piece of the bars last around 40k miles. If it is wear consider replacing these as a set, the pins on the end piece will wear at a similar rate to the ball mount bracket. The receiver hitch on the truck goes about 60k miles (it’s the stock Chevy part, seams to be better than the after market parts I have seen). These mileages are while towing. Your results may vary (sand and dirt don’t help)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:10 pm 

What I have already replaced is the reciever hitch on the truck, 2006 Chevy 1/2 ton with the hipo 6 liter, they call it the 'VortexMax', most people looking at it think it is a diesel since the logo looks a lot the same. I bent it from over torquing the arms on the hitch, wasn't setup right, and probably still isn't.

This is a Reese, 12,000 lb equalizer hitch. I made the mistake of listening to the guy who installed it, he said 'keep it clean', so I did just that and didn't grease it. It has something like 10,000 miles on it, maybe a bit more.

A different hitch dealer told me I could replace the head unit, but I wonder if it would be better to replace the arms also, surely they have wear, it just that the 'knobs' on them look pretty round, but then they are the cheapest part of the entire setup.