Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silver Lake Anyone???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 pm 

The infamous (Yea right...) Turbotexas is delivering a load to Grand Rapids MI. On the 14th of August, and would like to go to Silver Lake Dunes tuesday and maybe stay till Wedsnday Afternoon!!! I am extending an invitation to anyone in the area who needs an excuse to call the Boss and tell him you are Ill for a few days!!! (Yea I am a troublemaker!!!) But anyhow Let me know if you can get away!!!
David
210-831-8764

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:00 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
The infamous (Yea right...) Turbotexas is delivering a load to Grand Rapids MI. On the 14th of August, and would like to go to Silver Lake Dunes tuesday and maybe stay till Wedsnday Afternoon!!! I am extending an invitation to anyone in the area who needs an excuse to call the Boss and tell him you are Ill for a few days!!! (Yea I am a troublemaker!!!) But anyhow Let me know if you can get away!!!
David
210-831-8764

You should stop by your buddy's house and have him show you how to setup your "kit" ..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:18 am 

I forgot to mention, I have never been there before, so has anyone got an idea if my big truck will fit into the parking lot??? I realize motorhomes probably go all the time, but I am a little taller and longer than most motorhomes... 70 foot long, and it takes a 5 lane road for me to U-Turn in... I just don't want to get in a jam... Maybe I'll try google earth???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 am 

My trip just got pushed back to loading on Monday, deliver weds... Plus I just found a leak in my radiator... just pulled it off and am taking it to get patched!!!
Look for me being at the dunes wedsday and thursday!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:54 am 

Here are some links to pics, search for silver lake in the Riding Trips-Events their is more I am sure

http://pilotodyssey.com/SL7-10-00.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/drakart1.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/sl9-8-00.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/dunepilot.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/LW.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/sl2001-4.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/silverlake2000.htm

http://pilotodyssey.com/sl99-1.htm

Your whole semi is not going to fit you will need to drop your trailer.

Some things you need to know...

First you need stickers, you need one for your truck, car, RV what ever just to park in the parking lot then you need a ORV sticker for your ATV motorcycle what ever.

You need a spark arrester and they test for sound as you enter the dunes.

The riding area is about 300 acres.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Silver Lake Info
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:04 pm 

As hoser mentioned, you will need an ORV sticker ($16.25) and daily park passes (I think $7 each day) for your rig and Oddy. You will need to have a flag mounted at the front of the vehicle and should be 10' tall. There is a bar where you enter the park that it must hit. I haven't heard of nor seen any sound testing this year. Word on the street is budget cut backs have led to staff reduction and they aren't able to test. Spark Arrestor is a must however as they do check.
During the week, you could have an empty parking lot and not have any problem getting your rig in or out. I suggest you come in via the second Hart Exit (one with a McD's and Comfort Inn hotel)...... gas up at the BP station after making a left off the exit... At the end of the road the BP station is on, make a right.... then take your first left (West towards the dunes)... travel 2-3 miles (past Dune Drags on right hand side) come to a stop sign and make a right... go about 1 mile and make left and follow signs for ORV Voucher/ORV Park Entrance.....another mile make a right...road will split and park entrance will be at far right... You will want to come in this way to avoid turning around... I have seen semi-s and pretty long rigs pull in there without a problem... After Friday, it will be crazy and vouchers are required for riding on Sat Sun or holidays.

Here is the offical rules website.... http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

Sorry I won't be able to make it, just got back from riding up north and have to work this week. BossMan never believes me when I call in sick from my work from home job....lol

Pilotman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:24 pm 

Thanks Pilotman!!! I will try to drop my trailer somewhere, and Bobtail to the park to look it over before I drag the trailer... It is kinda hard to put the ody on the truck itself... it just hasn't been tried??? I don't think it will work... I am hoping weds won't be so crowded... Do you know if there are any little fuel stops/truck stops in the area??? I got my new starter put in, and got the radiator repaired today also... I will pput the clutch and pipe seat etc. back on tomorrow, and load her up on the trailer!!!
Again thanks Guy's!!!

P.S. I did take Pictures but ran out of battery so I couldn't download to PC...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:54 pm 

Well the Odyssey is Loaded up and ready to roll... I got the Starter installed, changed oil in balancer and tranny, and had someone patch the radiator... I will have to look for a new one I think this one might be showing signs of age... I might get a new OEM if the price is right...
OK Monday morning tell your boss' and the guy you work for you will need a few day's off!!! It's not often I get up that way so don't miss this chance!!! I will be giving free autograph's... LOL I might be able to forge a note from the Doctor's office...LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:13 pm 

Well I am in Grand rapids... I will unload tomorow a.m. and jet on up there... I think My pole is to short to make the 10 foot mark, unless they let me mount in the rear where it usually is... I hope I can find someone selling these cheap... It doesn't look like anyone is going to make it out so I might have to ride by myself... Hoser, 300 acres doesnt seem like a lot of room, heck it takes 20 acres tyo turn my truck around... LOL...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:23 am 

Put on your cotton pickin rodeo clown suit and they will let you ride with a short flag.

Post subject: Flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:37 am 

Turbo, sorry I can't join you... looks to be a nice day.... You can get flags across the street at Duneland for about $16 if memory serves me... If they won't let you in, try riding without your helmet in the parking lot...lol

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/pilot-odys ... enDocument

Pilotman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:30 pm 

OK master tech goober!!! LOL better than riding the short bus...

Stoneman wrote:
Put on your cotton pickin rodeo clown suit and they will let you ride with a short flag.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:46 pm 

Pilotman wrote:
Turbo, sorry I can't join you... looks to be a nice day.... You can get flags across the street at Duneland for about $16 if memory serves me... If they won't let you in, try riding without your helmet in the parking lot...lol

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/pilot-odys ... enDocument

Pilotman

cute... real cute...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:02 pm 

that was fun!!! pic's and story later...
I wonder who had the 2 pilots there, but packed up and left when I raised my Texas Flag???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:
I wonder who had the 2 pilots there, but packed up and left when I raised my Texas Flag???

You didnt go introduce yourself and tell them about PilotOdyssey.com?

Your suppose to be an ambassador...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:15 pm 

I wanted to, but they high tailed it pretty quick... I was unloading, and they drove by and pointed, then put their trailer quenn pilots away and left...

So if stoneman is resident tech gooper, can I be resident Ambassador??? please oh site creator extrodinaire!!LOL

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:16 pm 

I wanted to, but they high tailed it pretty quick... I was unloading, and they drove by and pointed, then put their trailer quenn pilots away and left...

So if stoneman is resident tech goober, can I be resident Ambassador??? please oh site creator extrodinaire!!LOL

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:53 pm 

Turbotexas wrote:

So if stoneman is resident tech goober, can I be resident Ambassador??? please oh site creator extrodinaire!!LOL

hoser wrote:
Turbotexas wrote:

Cut and run?

They were cut and runners ?

Your reputation proceeds you ?

Didnt want to mess with Texas?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Short ride report....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:48 pm 

OK I had a good time, although the place wasn't very big, it wasn't crowded either!!! Thanks for the directions pilotman!!!
There were 3 maybe 4 large hills to climb, with nasty wicked drop offs at the crest... You had to get it just right or fly to far over, or get stuck on the crest... I didn't see anyone fly over but quite a few were getting stuck at the top...
I enjoyed the climbs, but after climbing them a few times it was time to see the rest of the place... I made a left at the last dune and before I knew it I was back in the parking lot??? The rangers were very helpful and explained the "Loop" I had just made... So I went out again... I stopped long enough to grab the camera and adjust my rear shocks... they were a little bouncy in the sand whoops, compared to the Barstow setup from last trip... (note to self...back UP 4 clicks in rear for hardpack...)
Next problem I had on the next trip out was that my new to me stock rims, which I had blasted and powdercoated white leaked real bad... Lost all air in right rear so I had to get it back to truck... I was watching my egt real close and I noticed the temps were a little higher than normal in my mid-range... If I nailed it WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the temp would go down 50*... That tells me my main jet is good, but my clip might need some work... Well I get to the truck and found that I FORGOT to re install my hose and filter onto my Dial a jet assembly... DOH this is why it was lean in mid range... I blew it out with air-gun and was glad I had the setting in the smallest hole... Hope no sand got introduced to mr. piston rings...
After putting my Holeshot's back on I assumed I would only be able to run the flat parts but i went up the Test hill any way!!! went all the way to the top no problem.... u-turned back down and handled well with the new stock rims in front!!! Finally went up again and got stuck at the crest!!! LOL I got out and lifted the front and pointed down the hill and away I went...
The area near the lake was beautiful to see, but the tree's and trails weren't near as challenging as Little Sahara, OK... Of course I didn't have Adnoh, weed or the drak's to chase either...
All in all it was a short day, with little problems... I wish i would have been able to stay a whole day to get my monies worth.... I doubt I will ever make much of an effort to return, unless a bunch of us get together and go... Just seemed to small for this Texan!!!
I'll post pic's soon... nothing special, as no one to jst give a camera to and trust they wouldn't run off with it....LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:24 pm 

Some pictures... kinda lame, but no one came out to ride with me and I wasn't about to give the camera to a total stranger...

Attachments:
File comment: by the lake...
slvrlake001.JPG
slvrlake001.JPG [ 49.29 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
File comment: Never been that close to the lake...
slvrlake002.JPG
slvrlake002.JPG [ 42.1 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
File comment: but I resisted the temptation...
slvrlake003.JPG
slvrlake003.JPG [ 38.21 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
File comment: to run down to...
slvrlake004.JPG
slvrlake004.JPG [ 58.12 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
File comment: the water and...
slvrlake005.JPG
slvrlake005.JPG [ 53.38 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
File comment: Build a sand castle!!!
slvrlake006.JPG
slvrlake006.JPG [ 41.88 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:44 pm 

some more...

Attachments:
File comment: Camp Turbotexas
slvrlake007.JPG
slvrlake007.JPG [ 37.49 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]
File comment: Right next to the white quad is where the mystery Pilot owners were parked... Didn't have enough couthe to come and say Hi as I was unloading???
slvrlake008.JPG
slvrlake008.JPG [ 44.15 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]
File comment: I had to re-adjust the toe when I got here... they were about 2 inches toed out... made driving around my yard miserable and I just loaded it up...
slvrlake009.JPG
slvrlake009.JPG [ 41.54 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]
File comment: When i got back from Barstow last month I replaced the steel drag links with the stainless ones
slvrlake010.JPG
slvrlake010.JPG [ 39.46 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]
File comment: And then aligned the toe to 0* as per my laughable instructions. I then put the ody up in the shed...
slvrlake011.JPG
slvrlake011.JPG [ 37.45 KiB | Viewed 1610 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:07 am 

I am not sure what they call this last hill??? Must be alot of crash and burns cause there was alway's a crowd of spectators...

Attachments:
slvrlake013.JPG
slvrlake013.JPG [ 27.26 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]
slvrlake014.JPG
slvrlake014.JPG [ 29.26 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]
slvrlake015.JPG
slvrlake015.JPG [ 25.2 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]
File comment: This little SOB was crawling around my kitchen... The wet conditions and the heat brought him in...
slvrlake016.JPG
slvrlake016.JPG [ 31.64 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]
File comment: Don't Mess with Texas...
slvrlake017.JPG
slvrlake017.JPG [ 33.83 KiB | Viewed 1606 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:51 am 

Turbo! Sorry, been so busy I wasn't checking the site. I would have loved to have seen your Ody up close. I am only 1/2 an hour north of GR (I work in GR in fact.)...

Next time hopefully I won't have neglected my forums rounds and will see it next time. Of course I still don't have a trailer that my ody will fit on. :(

SmashSE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:57 pm 

SmashSE wrote:
Turbo! Sorry, been so busy I wasn't checking the site. I would have loved to have seen your Ody up close. I am only 1/2 an hour north of GR (I work in GR in fact.)...

Next time hopefully I won't have neglected my forums rounds and will see it next time. Of course I still don't have a trailer that my ody will fit on. :(

SmashSE
e notice...

I had room on my trailer!!! what sucks about my job is I never get a lot of advance notice... I only got about 10 miles logged at the dunes but still had fun!!! next time we will hook up!!!

Profile E-mail