Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 350 Air Box Cover
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:07 pm 

Ok who made this sucker?

Attachments:
MVC-017F.JPG
MVC-017F.JPG [ 57.84 KiB | Viewed 4911 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:07 pm 

A little roll in the sand, whoops

Attachments:
MVC-019F.JPG
MVC-019F.JPG [ 69.69 KiB | Viewed 4910 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:01 am 

Think I have seen a cover like that before made by Klemm research?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:43 pm 

that's a Kleem Research lid Hoser, Hawks right, they are very rare here on the east coast -they really help in getting the jetting right on the 350's and work quite well, I have put some stocking material(pantyhose)on the screen as well for added protection, that's in great shape I see by the picture, you have that in your posession by chance?Wanna sell it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:32 pm 

I ran mine with the opening to the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:14 pm 
Where can I get one of those? I like tsutton's setup but that looks simpler and I don't need snorkel type clearance for water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:15 pm 

spinergy wrote:
Where can I get one of those? I like tsutton's setup but that looks simpler and I don't need snorkel type clearance for water.
They are very hard to find, good luck.You can sometimes find them on ebay or on 1 of the boards for sale from the original owner, if you see it buy it, they work quite well and are a great item.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:43 am 

NIce pics, Hoser

That air box lid is on my buddy Richards machine. I don't think he will sell just the cover but I am sure you could by the whole machine from him

;)

Post subject: FL350 airbox lid
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:37 am 

If you guy's are interested I can look into having them made out of fiberglass. First I need some detailed pictures with it taken off of the air box. Next, I'll need an actual part to make the mold (you'll get your part back). Contact me if you're interested. jwhims@charter.net.

Vrroom

Post subject: Re: FL350 airbox lid
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:57 am 

Vrroom wrote:
If you guy's are interested I can look into having them made out of fiberglass. First I need some detailed pictures with it taken off of the air box. Next, I'll need an actual part to make the mold (you'll get your part back). Contact me if you're interested. jwhims@charter.net.

Vrroom

You could design something on your own, you know it does not have to be an exact copy,
if you look at what they did all it was, was a extension of the stock cover,
the 350 air box is like the 250 air box, the top cover was located too close to the
filter, this setup cures this and provides enough space in the box to act as a reservoir ,
the open front acts as the second hose mod that everybody does, here is one by
MGR http://12.215.127.130/350air.htm I would make it without the opening in the front
but provide a second opening so they can run a second hose to pre filters or offer
both for those that don't want the hoses and filters to mess with but want the open
front...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:49 pm 

Just saw an ody for sale on ebay with one of these if anyone interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 06674&rd=1

Maybe you can get cheap enough to get you lid and have alot of extra parts.
Eli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:32 am 
what about doing away with the air box entirely and just putting the filter right on the carb like stage 3 jetting for a motorcycle? *&^% the airbox. I have seen kits for quads to do this too. or you could run a pipe up from the carb and put an oversized filter right on the end. that would give you a snorkel-like apparatus. You could use a long sweep (street) pvc 90 for good flow and narrow the passage slightly before the carb to act as a velocity increaser. thoughts? tim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:48 pm 

I have been thinking of the same idea for my pilot. I know that ATVR makes a "high air flow desert filter" lol and sell its for 90 bux. I also know that Big Tom had a lot of trouble with just the k&n filter off of the carb, and a lot of sand and dirt was getting through. If im correct he is know using the same set up moskito uses in the dez. They use the same design expect they put a uni-foam wrap-then the outerwear around the filter. It seems to work pretty good, any one else on the subject? Right now im pretty happy with my prefilter set-up, like the one you see many guys on this board running, it sures helps with the dusty and, muddy trails of the east coast...

PD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:48 pm 
If the foam filter with the outerwear is mounted standing up, it would be less likely to take a drink, no? Has anyone had a problem with this type of setup?

It was my thought that air flow would be better if it didn't have to suck through two sets of filters, not to mention that the opening going into the carb is only of a certain size, and it seems pointless to have two filtered intakes that effectively double the carb opening.

Maybe the air behind the head would be too hot?

I have seen photos somewhere on this board of filters that have a caked on coating of dust when mounted high. It seems to be mostly from driving [/i]through dust and not dust coming from behind, so maybe a half circle shield in front of the filter would eliminate this problem.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:31 am 

Sucking through 2 sets of filters is the whole idea, it reduces the chances of any dirt
getting into the Engine, if the filters are sized big enough there is no added restriction
the extra filter area also allow you to really cake on a layer of dust without affecting
the tune of the Engine...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:15 am 
Thanks hoser for the reply. :-)

That does make sense, I guess you'd end up running way rich if your air supply was cut down. I have already modified my airbox like tim's but haven't run it yet as I am still waiting for other parts. I was just considering removing the airbox to make it less cluttered and leave room for the aluminum tank I ordered and also leave room for the eventual radiator for a water cooled head.